Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline issue

Options
  • 08-02-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Put a similar thread in the broadband section but didn't really get any help.

I'm using the TPlink AV200+ powerline adaptors at home. Before I got upgraded with UPC I had 60mbps coming into the house and I was getting around 50mbps with the powerline adaptors on my pc. Recently I was upgraded to 200mbps but now I'm lucky to get anything over 25mbps.

I've tried to limit the bandwidth to my pc back to 60mbps to see if the line was being overloaded (not sure if that's even possible - novice alert!) That didn't really do anything... was still getting around 25mbps.

I've tried to use the powerline adaptor with my laptop closer to the modem to see if it was an issue with the powerline adaptor and I was able to get up to 80mbps using another socket in the same room.

I've gotten on to tplink and am waiting for a response.

Any ideas?

I would be ok with what I'm getting now if it wasn't for the fact that I was getting better before the speed was upgraded.

Would it help if I picked up 500Mbps powerline adaptors or is it a just due to a limit on the copper cabling in the house?

Also looking into laying down some cat5e from the sitting room to the kitchen. Only problem is that the house I live in is over 100 years old and has pretty solid walls. If I wanted to link the router to my PC over network cable, do I just put in a plate by the router and feed the cable directly to my kitchen into another plate? I don't need a patch panel or anything?

Thanks again for the help,
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Is there any appliances running when you test the speed? Could be interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Is there any appliances running when you test the speed? Could be interference?

Nothing different compared to when it was running on the 60Mbps speed. Looking into getting the AV500+ in the near future, hopefully push the speed I get from it up to 100Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Powerlines tend to max out around 90Mbps IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Many of the AV500 plugs only have a 10/100 port so > 100mbps not possible. Bit of misleading labelling going on.
    Even the TP Link AV500 in attached review which has a gigabit port achieves only 68mbps.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/network/45313-tp-link-av500-gigabit-powerline-adapter-starter-kit/?page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Run a cable, it will do gigabit full duplex, it's a no brainer. In fact buy a box of cable and run one or two to every room in your house. You'll be glad you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Did you get a new router with the upgrade?

When I removed my sky wireless extension thing for my skybox my power line speed went up about 10Mbit. They are very easy to upset...

Run a cable, it will do gigabit full duplex, it's a no brainer. In fact buy a box of cable and run one or two to every room in your house. You'll be glad you did.

Live in an old house with solid walls. Don't want to go carving out brick around the house to lay cable.

Did you get a new router with the upgrade?

When I removed my sky wireless extension thing for my skybox my power line speed went up about 10Mbit. They are very easy to upset...

Nope. I've a 3925 in bridge with my tplink n600.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

try factory resetting powerline adapters

then set up again

Advertisement