Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent (house sharing) best places to look?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 10:21pm

Hello,

I am going to be working in Dublin City next month. Need to find a place to live. I don't want it to be too expensive, but I want it to be decent enough. Therefore I am obviously open for house sharing.

Can anyone please advise me in whats the best place to look for decent accommodation ( website, house agents etc)??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Daft.ie

Moved to Accommodation & Property.

Anywhere else besides daft.ie??

Also if im working in Dublin 2, does anyone else have any other recommendations where else I should live in Dublin City ( given transport available)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

What kind of rent do you expect to pay? What age profile? Do you want to be walking distance from town or are you happy to drive/use public transport? You need to provide more info.

What kind of rent do you expect to pay? What age profile? Do you want to be walking distance from town or are you happy to drive/use public transport? You need to provide more info.

Thanks for the reply.

I am 23 years old, I expect to pay rent in of 300-440 euro per month. I am happy to use public transport, but saying that I would prefer to be in walking distance of Dublin city.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dublin 6,6W..Rathmines, Rathgar, Ranleagh...all those are near enough to town to walk and all on main transport routes. Should easily find a share at your budget around one of those if you arent extremely picky.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Dublin 6,6W..Rathmines, Rathgar, Ranleagh...all those are near enough to town to walk and all on main transport routes. Should easily find a share at your budget around one of those if you arent extremely picky.

Thanks for this:):) have u any other sites to recommend bar daft.ie?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You could look on myhome.ie but Daft is the main one and anything thats on other sites is usually first on there. Plus most people putting up a share looking for a room mate are going to put it on there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You can have cheap, or decent, or in a good location.

Sometimes if you get lucky you can get two, but not all three.

The Dublin rental market is crazy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wouldnt be too confident about getting a share in D6 for 400. Never mind a, to use the OPs word, "decent" place.

I've been looking for a place to rent in and around that area for nearly 3 months and finally got somewhere last weekend, in Dublin 18.

As always it depends whats on the market at the time you are looking, Christmas is an awful time to look so I am not surprised you found it hard. The OP asked for areas to look and I gave her a list of areas as options - she has to then decide and as Johnny said it comes down to price, quality and location. What someone considers decent you might not so it comes down to personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

syklops wrote: »
    I wouldnt be too confident about getting a share in D6 for 400. Never mind a, to use the OPs word, "decent" place.

I've been looking for a place to rent in and around that area for nearly 3 months and finally got somewhere last weekend, in Dublin 18.

How far is dublin 18 from o Connell street?

As always it depends whats on the market at the time you are looking, Christmas is an awful time to look so I am not surprised you found it hard. The OP asked for areas to look and I gave her a list of areas as options - she has to then decide and as Johnny said it comes down to price, quality and location. What someone considers decent you might not so it comes down to personal opinion.

Well said!!! Thanks:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wasn't criticising you, I was simply saying, as someone who recently went looking, that you would be lucky to find something decent for 400. I wasn't looking during Christmas, I was looking from November to January. Presumably the OP is looking now and the rental market in Dublin at the moment is crazy. Recession or not, rental right now is back to 2006.

The OP came looking for advice and I was giving first hand advice. I rang to enquire about a bedsit in Rathmines that was 900 a month. I arranged to meet but she rang me a few hours later to say it had been taken.

Have you got direct experience of looking for somewhere to rent right now in the areas the OP is asking?

Pretty far. Though the OP said she would be working in D2 which O'Connel street isn't in.
    Well said!!! Thanks

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

OP, after 2-3 months of looking for somewhere to live I can tell you it won't be easy(and since we have February Christmas has nothing to do with it!). Mainly because for every house/apartment you go to see you have a small crowd as a competition. At the moment the owners are spoiled - you can expect to be asked for all sorts of things including references from work which I personally find a bit over the top.

Except from daft you could maybe try gumtree but daft is so far the best but I'd say it would be much easier if you had some friends looking for a place at the same time or somebody you could move in with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Daft is the only show in town for shares really, gumtree maybe.

For 300-440 you'll need to look at the suburbs and commute in or you'll need to move into a tiny flat or house share on the North Circular Road. Some of the areas would be predominantly foreign-nationals who are less fussy about an area, if you can get in there you'll be grand. Go down too far and you'll be into area with serious drug problems.

Somewhere on the LUAS or DART lines. Dublin 15 would have a decent enough bus service into town but you'll struggle on your budget I'd imagine. You could consider Co. Kildare and come in by the train but you'd have a bit of a walk from Heuston. Alternatively you could look at going in the Louth direction and coming into Collonny.

It won't be impossible to find something in the centre but I'm not sure what standard you'll get. Watch out for the room shares on most of the well priced places!

Nelly1234 wrote: »

Accessible via LUAS into Stephen's Green but D18 is pretty far out distance-wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Dublin 18 would cover Sandyford, Carrickmines, Leopardstown. It is about 25 min to Stephens Green on the Luas and then a 10 min walk to O Connell St.
    Ideally a place along the Luas Green line like Ranelagh, Milltown or Dundrum would be good but as the posters have said you won't get those for 400 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Dublin 18 would cover Sandyford, Carrickmines, Leopardstown. It is about 25 min to Stephens Green on the Luas and then a 10 min walk to O Connell St.
    Ideally a place along the Luas Green line like Ranelagh, Milltown or Dundrum would be good but as the posters have said you won't get those for 400 a month

Hi guys just wondering would Drumcondra be ideal location for renting too?! ( given transport obviously)

Hi guys just wondering would Drumcondra be ideal location for renting too?! ( given transport obviously)

Transport links aren't too bad from there although it's only Dublin Bus. Careful of the area though, Drumcondra is grand but there are a number of less nice area that pretend to be Drumcondra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Drumcondra and phibsboro are good locations and popular with people renting. There's a lot of buses heading to town and the airport or you could walk(in about 30 mins).

The budget might be a problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Agree with Drumcondra. My personal rule of thumb is you have a safer bet with Drumcondra, Dublin 9 as opposed to Drumcondra Dublin 3.

I think, as a lot of posters have said, your budget is pretty tight. To put it in perspective when I lived in Ranelagh in the 90s, I was in a house share and was paying 250 per month and that was after converting the "good" sitting room into a bedroom so we could fit an extra person in the house. And that was Irish punts!

Is there any way to increase your budget?

DAFT.ie is genuinely the best. Myhome is another but provably very little in the difference. Have you tried rental agents?

Aseth wrote: »
    OP, after 2-3 months of looking for somewhere to live I can tell you it won't be easy(and since we have February Christmas has nothing to do with it!). Mainly because for every house/apartment you go to see you have a small crowd as a competition. At the moment the owners are spoiled - you can expect to be asked for all sorts of things including references from work which I personally find a bit over the top.

Except from daft you could maybe try gumtree but daft is so far the best but I'd say it would be much easier if you had some friends looking for a place at the same time or somebody you could move in with.

Can totally tell where your coming from. Saw a house the other day and so many people were viewing it. I think about 20 people for 1 place. You swear it was for a job interview :/

Advertisement