Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner seeking advice on buying a Synthesizer

Options
  • 08-02-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I am an absolute beginner planning on purchasing my first synthesiz and first key instrument. I would be very grateful of any advice on equipment required and recommendations for manufacturers and models. In the unlikely event that I don't have the same interest/obsession further down the line I want to keep within my budget of €250 so I am obviously looking for a used one.

My favourite music style is synth/electro pop so I want a synth capable of producing these type of sounds. A few examples would be New Order, Hot Chip, John Maus, M83, Chromeo.

I have a few questions:

What is a good synth to learn the basics on?
    Do I need to also purchase an amplifier?
    Should all recently produced synths come with computer software?
    I read that I should be looking for one with at one with at least 49 keys, is this wise?
    Should I increase my budget as I get the impression they keep their value pretty well?

Thank you
    Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Would you consider just using software synths to start out on to see how you like it?

A small midi keyboard and some sequencer/synthesizer software can yield some great sounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

You could get a new M-Audio Venom synth for less than your budget. Think they are around 190 euro now on Thomann.

They used to be about 550 euro so they are now dirt cheap in comparison.

Has a software editor for making your own synth patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronan.

Would prefer bigger keyboard, thanks for your advice though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Ronan. wrote: »
    Would prefer bigger keyboard, thanks for your advice though!

You looking for a 61 key then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronan.

You could get a new M-Audio Venom synth for less than your budget. Think they are around 190 euro now on Thomann.

They used to be about 550 euro so they are now dirt cheap in comparison.

Has a software editor for making your own synth patches.

Funny you should mention this, I have been contemplating buying one off these. Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i had this same query when i first was starting out , the guys on here were great with advice:)
    my advice is , at this day and age , i would recommend you to get a soft synth and midi key boards and see how you get on with that , it can be expensive getting an actual hardware synth for what your looking to create :)
    if you get stuck , youtube has tones of videos to help you out regarding midi mapping and setting your self up

Advertisement