Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent question

Options
  • 08-02-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just quick question about 1st month rent.
    I'll be mowing to new apt in the middle of the month with the lease date starting from that time but still the LL wants me to pay a rent for a full month.
    Is there any law involving it? I cant understand paying for the time when i'm not even living there. I the past whenever I rented something I always paid for the period actually in house/apt.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Your rent is for the month ahead, rather than for that particular calendar month. If you commence your tenancy on the 15th, therent is due on the fifteenth. If it's say a one year fixed term lease, it ends on the 15th in one year.

Just ensure the correct date is on the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Your landlord is just trying to be awkward. There is nothing to compel you to pay on the 1st of the month; it is very much the norm to pay the first month when you sign the lease, on whatever day of the month that falls.

If the landlord is going to be awkward about then walk away if it doesnt suit you. Paying half months at the start and the end is just messy, and there is no need for it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

Essentially the landlord is trying to get you to cover his/her loss for not having the property rented sooner. Rent should be from the time you signed the lease. Next you'll be expected to cover the utilities up until you moved in!

The only excuse for attempting this would be if the tenant caused a significant delay in signing the lease, then I could kind of see where the LL was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have just quick question about 1st month rent.
    I'll be mowing to new apt in the middle of the month with the lease date starting from that time but still the LL wants me to pay a rent for a full month.
    Is there any law involving it? I cant understand paying for the time when i'm not even living there. I the past whenever I rented something I always paid for the period actually in house/apt.
    Thanks

Is the landlord asking for a month's rent from (e.g.) 15/2 - 14/3, or are they expecting you to pay from 1/2?

If the former then it's standard practice, if the latter tell them to jog on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Clive wrote: »
    Your rent is for the month ahead, rather than for that particular calendar month. If you commence your tenancy on the 15th, therent is due on the fifteenth. If it's say a one year fixed term lease, it ends on the 15th in one year.

Just ensure the correct date is on the lease
    Many people make this error.

If a lease is for 12 months, starting on the 15th, the lease expires at midnight on the 14th of the same month the following year. A tenant, if vacating is not entitled to be in the property on the 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

odds_on wrote: »
    Many people make this error.

If a lease is for 12 months, starting on the 15th, the lease expires at midnight on the 14th of the same month the following year. A tenant, if vacating is not entitled to be in the property on the 15th.

Oops! Odds_on is spot on.

Advertisement