Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Roku 3 running Plex the best soloution?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi

I had initially planned to use a modified XBOX 360 running XBMC as our main home entertainment device but I was disappointed to learn it will not play MKV files. I have now ordered a Roku 3 to enjoy the online channels which I will have full access to from Ireland using UnoDNS. As it cannot play all media types I am going to install Plex to stream media off a built for purpose Plex media server which also will afford the added bonus that it can transcode to suit and stream any media to multiple devices.

Before I spend more money on the media server I want to ask the community if you think this is the best solution for a combination of online channels and the ability to play all local media?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

XBMC cannot currently run on xbox360, so I don't know where you got your information from. I don't own a roku but I'm pretty sure there is no solution to watch streaming Irish channels using plex or otherwise.

I would highly recommend a Raspberry Pi running XBMC/Openelec as you can have streaming TV channels and play local media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

degsie wrote: »
    XBMC cannot currently run on xbox360, so I don't know where you got your information from.

Indeed, what I meant was Freestyle dash or whatever the best software for an RGH XBOX 360 is. I have all the materials and tools I need but have been too busy to start it.
    I don't own a roku but I'm pretty sure there is no solution to watch streaming Irish channels using plex or otherwise.

Not sure where you got your information, but Roku and Plex together offer not only Irish channels but also British channels a lot of Irish people watch - and a hell of a lot more.
    I would highly recommend a Raspberry Pi running XBMC/Openelec as you can have streaming TV channels and play local media.

I'm reading the Roku 3 paired with Plex offers all of that and more, that the better performance hardware results in the more polished UI running smoother, and that major content providers maintain a lot of the channels. Running a Plex Media Server also has the added bonus of being able to stream content to every device in the home, at the same time.

dusf wrote: »
    Not sure where you got your information, but Roku and Plex together offer not only Irish channels but also British channels a lot of Irish people watch - and a hell of a lot more.

That's interesting. I did go over to the flex forums and couldn't any reference to RTE/TV3/TG4 working channels. I'd appreciate if you could provide a link?

That's interesting. I did go over to the flex forums and couldn't any reference to RTE/TV3/TG4 working channels. I'd appreciate if you could provide a link?

https://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/18856/tv3-3player

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/13111-request-rte-player/page-3

Read the very last post.

TG4 would be nice to have. I have read most XBMC unofficially work on plex, so I look forward to trying that.

Honestly, I love technology, so I will probably end up buying a Raspberry Pi in the end anyway to experience XBMC and also use it for anything I am missing. Also, it would mean another HDMI cable to justify my HDMI autoswitch :)

I personally like the Pi/OpenElec combination as it's low power, standalone, well supported and can be easily configured to use a DNS proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 idlesloth

I got roku3 for about 2 months now. And it's brilliant at playing local media and lighting quick. I've played 1080p mkv files, mp4 files and avi files on it all run smoothly. I watch TV and movies every day on it. The only downside is that you need plex. But for a once off payment of €55 it's worth it. It turns your local media files into your own personal netflix's. I download two versions of all my TV shows 480p mp4 (archive) and 720p mkv (first time watch) plex only shows one episode on screen (no duplicates) but let's you switch between file types of the same episode with a resume functionality. Subtitles are also really good. The smallest subtitles are regular size, while extra large take up the whole TV. Perfect for nearly completely blind people. It also plays your TV shows theme music while in show's menu. The only update I would like, for the Plex UI for roku to be more the Plex UI for windows. It's a little plain.

idlesloth wrote: »
    I got roku3 for about 2 months now. And it's brilliant at playing local media and lighting quick. I've played 1080p mkv files, mp4 files and avi files on it all run smoothly. I watch TV and movies every day on it. The only downside is that you need plex. But for a once off payment of €55 it's worth it. It turns your local media files into your own personal netflix's. I download two versions of all my TV shows 480p mp4 (archive) and 720p mkv (first time watch) plex only shows one episode on screen (no duplicates) but let's you switch between file types of the same episode with a resume functionality. Subtitles are also really good. The smallest subtitles are regular size, while extra large take up the whole TV. Perfect for nearly completely blind people. It also plays your TV shows theme music while in show's menu. The only update I would like, for the Plex UI for roku to be more the Plex UI for windows. It's a little plain.

What channels are you using specifically? To get the most from the channels I found using UNODNS to make me appear in the US or UK was the best solution but unfortunately you cannot switch the Roku back and forth unless you reset and set it back up all over again which just is not practical.

Plex is a very nice player, the only catch is you have to either turn your computer on to watch anything, own a decent server, buy one, or build one. Running the Plex server from my laptop worked well enough to let me get a feel for it enough to appreciate it but with the laptop's power saving i5-3317u and 4GB of RAM it was not up to transcoding all types of media without long delays at least some of the time. With the right hardware in the server I plan to build I will have instant playback, or transcoding on the fly.

One thing that bugged me about plex is the way you have to categorize your video for the metadata, reviews, descriptions, DVD covers, trailer links, and rotten tomato scores etc to be assigned properly. I have no problem making sure media is named properly and TV shows are in the correct season folder (and I think this can be completely automated run in your download folder using other software) but many one off TV shows that air on British TV will only work if put in the movies directory - Movies should just contain movies, and all TV shows should be in one place whether multi or single episode. Also, for shows where the metadata does not exist they need to either be put in movies or amended with s01e01 - Plex should display all this media no matter what so we can know what needs to be changed and do not miss anything without having to compare the directory the server OS to contents of Movies and TV Shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

dusf wrote: »
    https://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/18856/tv3-3player

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/13111-request-rte-player/page-3

Read the very last post.

TG4 would be nice to have. I have read most XBMC unofficially work on plex, so I look forward to trying that.

Honestly, I love technology, so I will probably end up buying a Raspberry Pi in the end anyway to experience XBMC and also use it for anything I am missing. Also, it would mean another HDMI cable to justify my HDMI autoswitch :)

That RTE player app seems way out of date, don't think it's still available or supported. Anyone know anything newer available??

spideog7 wrote: »
    That RTE player app seems way out of date, don't think it's still available or supported. Anyone know anything newer available??

I do not think there is one. Channels you may be interested in are TV3, BBC, and Channel 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement