Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This dress for a wedding?

Options
  • 08-02-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

My boyfriend's sister is getting married in May, and I'm thinking of getting this dress from Chi Chi since I've been eyeing it up for ages. http://www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Melody-Dress.html Only thing is I'm not sure if it's really formal enough for a wedding, or if it's more of a going out dress. Any opinions would be appreciated, and if anyone had any thoughts on how to style it that'd be great too. Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think it's a bit too casual (and maybe a bit too white, depending on the views of the bride and family) for a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Depends where the wedding is/how formal it is. For example it wouldn't be suitable for a wedding in a five star hotel. If the wedding was a more casual affair than it would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I think its a lovely dress, to be honest I think its age dependent, this is a dress that would look lovely at a wedding on a young girl but I think might not look appropriate on someone older...I normally don't think about age when looking at clothes but for some reason that what occurred to me when looking at this dress !! If you removed the collar it would probably be a bit more 'formal' looking !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

What do you think of this?

With black high heels and a plain black headpiece...

http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/stars-lace-dress-by-sister-jane-2455440?bi=401&ps=200

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Chiquitita wrote: »
    What do you think of this?

With black high heels and a plain black headpiece...

http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/stars-lace-dress-by-sister-jane-2455440?bi=401&ps=200
    Too white for a wedding IMO. Steer away from white and to a more colourful palate

• Advertisement

I have it and it's baby pink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Daisies wrote: »
    Too white for a wedding IMO. Steer away from white and to a more colourful palate

I wouldn't class this one as too white! Very adaptable too, would work for weddings or nights out easily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I think the second one might be a better option. Some people can be a little possessive when it comes to people wearing white to a wedding. That said, I've been to quite a few where a lot of the bride's friends wore white. You could always wear a nice blazer over it for the ceremony part of the wedding. The first dress is nice, too, but would depend on your age as I think a younger person could probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Thanks for all the replies. :) I'm 21 and look a good bit younger than that so from that perspective I'd probably get away with it but I think people are probably right in saying it's a bit informal! That dress from Topshop is gorgeous might have a look for it! :)

Yeah it's lovely on. I'm pretty tall so it's a little short on me. What height are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Topshop one is lovely. This business of a dress being 'too white'???? Unless it's ALL white surely it shouldn't matter! (Even if it WAS all white, what of it!)

Topshop one is lovely. This business of a dress being 'too white'???? Unless it's ALL white surely it shouldn't matter! (Even if it WAS all white, what of it!)

It's the same as wearing dark colours to a funeral. It's just a tradition, and the people who matter probably wont care/notice at all, but to do it shows respect. To go against it shows a lack of respect in my opinion, but I know I have an extreme view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

It's the same as wearing dark colours to a funeral. It's just a tradition, and the people who matter probably wont care/notice at all, but to do it shows respect. To go against it shows a lack of respect in my opinion, but I know I have an extreme view.

I can see your point of view. But the first dress had black in it too. I just think it's all madness that you can/can't wear certain colours 'in case' you might offend someone! I definitely don't equate it on the same level as a funeral either. It's completely a wedding/Bridezilla type trait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Someone wore a completely white knee length dress to my wedding. Less of a sh!t I could not give. It was obviously not a wedding dress like, it was reeeeeally fitted, scoop neck, cap sleeves and big statement necklace, she looked fab! I think any white-ish dress with black/coloured accents is fine for a wedding.

Advertisement