Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Cortana’ Verus Apple’s Siri

Options
  • 08-02-2014 3:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This isnt to far away now, is anyone excited about it apart from Halo fans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'll probably use it the odd time (when it's raining spring to mind), but TBH if you don;t drive I'm not sure it'll be that useful for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I don't think that fact it's called Cortana will have much, if any, sway with Halo fans - there wasn't much fanfare when Halo 4 was released.

And as it's supposed to be a general tool that anyone can use on their WP device, any kind of link to Halo or sci-fi look make alienate regular people.

I just want it to a) work b) support dictation c) have local recommendations (which should work if they're using FourSquare data)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I enabled Cortana today on my WP (you have to set your region and language to US and reboot a couple times for it to kick in) and tbh I like it.
    The only downside is that phone now uses US settings for date which is a little annoying and I can't seem to change format for it.
    I don't know if it's "better" than Siri but it works for what I use it for, setting reminders and alarms and start/stop music and GPS etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

biko wrote: »
    I enabled Cortana today on my WP (you have to set your region and language to US and reboot a couple times for it to kick in) and tbh I like it.
    The only downside is that phone now uses US settings for date which is a little annoying and I can't seem to change format for it.
    I don't know if it's "better" than Siri but it works for what I use it for, setting reminders and alarms and start/stop music and GPS etc.

You don't have to set your regional settings to US any more with the latest update. You can set them to UK English and Cortana will have a neutral English accent instead of the rather nasal US accent.

I haven't used Siri a whole lot, but Cortana is also handy for dictating messages and taking notes in OneNote. I use it too to arrange my schedule for the day from finding train timetables to local restaurants and hotels, setting specific event triggers such as "Remind me to look over my notes when I get home". With location settings turned on, not long after I get home, the reminder pops up. This also works to set quiet hours during meetings as long as you have your agenda already set in the Calendar.

It's handy too for daily news first thing in the morning, and traffic conditions when used with HERE Drive+.

As a PA, it's not too shabby at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't see myself using this at all to be honest.

Had similar tools when I had Androids but the novelty value wears off after about 5 mins .

Wake me up when we get to Star Trek levels of voice interaction with the computers/phones. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement