Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant at 45!

Options
  • 08-02-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am 45 and have just discovered I am pregnant. To say I am shocked would be an understatement - I was convinced I was starting the menopause!
    I had a 'missed miscarriage' a few yrs ago, where there was no heartbeat at 8wks, and I had a D&C. I subsequently discovered the scanning machine was one of the 'broken' machines that were in the news some years ago - so I will never really know if the baby was viable or not.

Anyhow, I am now terrified - the clear blue digital indicates 3-4 weeks and going by the date of my last period, my GP puts me at about 6wks.

I am almost convincing myself that this will not 'become' a baby - I am tormenting myself reading the internet about all the risks associated with pregnancies at my age - I'm fit and healthy and have a 10yr old.

I'd love to hear from other older mams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

If Halle Berry can do it, why can't you! :)

Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

oldermammy wrote: »
    I am 45 and have just discovered I am pregnant. To say I am shocked would be an understatement - I was convinced I was starting the menopause!
    I had a 'missed miscarriage' a few yrs ago, where there was no heartbeat at 8wks, and I had a D&C. I subsequently discovered the scanning machine was one of the 'broken' machines that were in the news some years ago - so I will never really know if the baby was viable or not.

Anyhow, I am now terrified - the clear blue digital indicates 3-4 weeks and going by the date of my last period, my GP puts me at about 6wks.

I am almost convincing myself that this will not 'become' a baby - I am tormenting myself reading the internet about all the risks associated with pregnancies at my age - I'm fit and healthy and have a 10yr old.

I'd love to hear from other older mams?

I wish you well and hope everything works out as I'm sure it will, enjoy it and try not to worry, lots of women at your age have healthy beautiful babies. Congratulations.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 derstern

Congratulations!

Look after yourself and all will be fine. Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

My mom was 45 having me, and older moms can be brilliant, had a lot of life experience and was retired to spend lots of time with me instead of being in the middle of her career. Huge congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Congrats oldermammy, I can imagine you're very anxious, but there's every chance you will have a healthy pregnancy. I think staying off Google is probably a wise idea, you will only terrify yourself if you do too much research. Yes, the chances of having a baby with a birth defect are higher as you get older, but the chances still are very small. You can have a scan as early as 6 weeks and hopefully see a heartbeat, if you could organise that, it would hopefully put your mind at ease. Once you see a heartbeat, your chances of miscarriage drop dramatically.

I wish you all the very very best. Lots of women are leaving it later in life to have a baby. You're certainly not alone in being an older mother. The fact that you are fit and healthy will stand towards you. Best of luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Congratulations! I'm actually almost crying here. Best of luck!!!

Advertisement