Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry vs Physics

Options
  • 08-02-2014 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Which would be the better science to choose from? I'm thinking of doing Biology and I am doing Higher Level Maths so I can't decide which of the two science would be best,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Physics, hands down. I've been in two different schools for the LC, and I've yet to meet someone who has received exceptional Chemistry results. It heavily depends on the teacher in Chemistry; if you get the short end of the stick, you're digging your own grave.

Physics would be the better option, people shy away from it but it's not as difficult as some may think. Stress levels in the Chemistry class in my school are through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

I do both, definitely prefer physics.

As Exo said above, people tend to shy away from it, maybe because they think the maths is difficult, but most of the calculations are simple maths (addition / subtraction / multiplication / division). I hated physics in the junior cert so I nearly didn't pick the subject but I'm glad I did. The course is really short and everything is easy to understand.

That being said I do enjoy chemistry, but I just find the workload is much higher and that even with the marking schemes they're quite picky with the answers they're looking for.

If you have any more questions about either course feel free to ask! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I chose chemistry and completely disagree what previous posters have stated about chemistry grades - in fact it's really on par with physics.

Yes the chemistry marking scheme is quite strict but if you do lots of past paper questions you will soon realise that the answers repeat themselves.

The calculations are also quite basic - sometimes they will try to confuse you by throwing in the wrong unit of measurement i.e. cms and you have to convert it to m

I would really encourage chemistry as it's very useful to have if you're considering a future career in science, not forgetting that it is a requirement into many courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Do both!

Personal bias will dictate the thread!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

d1234 wrote: »
    I chose chemistry and completely disagree what previous posters have stated about chemistry grades - in fact it's really on par with physics.

Yes the chemistry marking scheme is quite strict but if you do lots of past paper questions you will soon realise that the answers repeat themselves.

The calculations are also quite basic - sometimes they will try to confuse you by throwing in the wrong unit of measurement i.e. cms and you have to convert it to m

So you don't do Physics?

I could tell the OP to choose Physics but my advice would be completely biased since I don't do Chemistry.

OP, do whichever topic interests you. I chose Physics because I was more interested in the topics covered in Physics than Chemistry. I wasn't particularly good or interested in maths either at the time, I got a C in it for JC. And now 17 months into Physics, I still haven't lost interest. In fact all 10 of my CAO choices are Physics courses.

If you like Chemistry, do it, or if you like Physics, do that. I assume you're in TY or 3rd year. You have plenty of time to look up on what's included in the LC Chemistry and Physics syllabi.

And also, why not both?
    d1234 wrote: »
    I would really encourage chemistry as it's very useful to have if you're considering a future career in science, not forgetting that it is a requirement into many courses.

Why wouldn't Physics be useful to have in a future career in science?

A total of seven courses require Chemistry.

Granted, it would be desirable to have done Chemistry at LC for a lot of other courses but you could say the same about Physics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Personal experience here, did Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
    Would say physics is far easier imo, Chemistry takes more work.
    Have you considered doing all 3 as a matter of interest?
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Granted, it would be desirable to have done Chemistry at LC for a lot of other courses but you could say the same about Physics.

People tend to find it harder to pick up Chemistry than they do Physics in 3rd Level, so in that way its better to have done Chemistry. But you are right, having done Physics wouldn't exactly have been a bad thing, and surprises many people every year when they start college and have to study it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    So you don't do Physics?

I could tell the OP to choose Physics but my advice would be completely biased since I don't do Chemistry.

OP, do whichever topic interests you. I chose Physics because I was more interested in the topics covered in Physics than Chemistry. I wasn't particularly good or interested in maths either at the time, I got a C in it for JC. And now 17 months into Physics, I still haven't lost interest. In fact all 10 of my CAO choices are Physics courses.

If you like Chemistry, do it, or if you like Physics, do that. I assume you're in TY or 3rd year. You have plenty of time to look up on what's included in the LC Chemistry and Physics syllabi.

And also, why not both?

Yes I agree with you only that I'm in the opposite boat. However, there is in fact much more input in this thread in physics rather than chemistry and I feel that it's only fair that someone briefs the OP on the chemistry side. I'm basing my story on my experiences. I cannot judge physics and didn't in my post apart from the reference which I give to the fact that results wise it's on par with chemistry.

In regards to future use, as another poster stated - chemistry is the most difficult to pick up in third level. I was at the DCU open day last year and the science students all agreed on that. Many courses have a strong element of chemistry e.g. pharmacy in RCSI and other courses which you mightn't expect such as in Home Ec teaching in St Angelas. Only one course requires physics. Also there are usually more jobs available in the chemistry industry whereas with physics it's more limited. I know OP that you mightn't desire to enter this area or science but it's important to consider what impact that this choice may have.

OP, as previously advised do what you enjoy doing. I would recommend chemistry as I generally found it enjoyable. However physics may suit you better. No two people are the same I suppose!

Advertisement