Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technika TV Warranty

Options
  • 07-02-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I bought a 32 in Technika tv in Tesco 14 months ago. Today it stopped working. I still have original receipt and credit card receipt. Where do I stand ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The Gride wrote: »
    I bought a 32 in Technika tv in Tesco 14 months ago. Today it stopped working. I still have original receipt and credit card receipt. Where do I stand ?

Not in Rip off Ireland anyway. Legally it has to last a reasonable amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

GarIT wrote: »
    Not in Rip off Ireland anyway. Legally it has to last a reasonable amount of time.

In Ireland Tesco only give 12 months guarantee but in uk they have honoured the guarantee up to 2 years so it is a bit of a rip off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

In Ireland Tesco only give 12 months guarantee but in uk they have honoured the guarantee up to 2 years so it is a bit of a rip off

as repeated so many times - a shop warranty is in addition to your right under the sale of goods act. (worth the paper its written on whether UK or Ireland)

see the sticky in consumer issues for all answers to your questions

Finally got €175 cash refund back for Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

EU law states 2 year warranty, doesnt apply to UK but applies to ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lmimmfn wrote: »

No, it doesn't. It specifies consumer protection periods of which we have a significantly longer one (6 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

You can't have an EU law that differs by state like that one.

Finally got €175 cash refund back for Tesco.

Forgot to say, Tesco never inspected the tv or looked for it to be returned. They must have got loads of faulty ones like mine back already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

It cost them €175 to make you happy again..

How much would it cost them if you did you shopping in Dunnes Stores,, it might add up to €175 every week.

satguy wrote: »
    It cost them €175 to make you happy again..

How much would it cost them if you did you shopping in Dunnes Stores,, it might add up to €175 every week.

I'm not really that happy to be honest. It cost me around €275 for having a tv for 14 months but its what they offered and they said take it or leave it. The matter is closed now except that I have to find the extra for to buy a new tv. I would have expected the original one to have lasted more than 14 months.

• Advertisement

You can get a similar no-brander 32" for close to that; they weren't going to give you 450 quid cash for a 14 month old TV - you would have got a 250 quid value TV off them instead if they'd fully replaced it. Most of the "lost" 275 is lost to reduced costs of new equipment.

MYOB wrote: »
    You can get a similar no-brander 32" for close to that; they weren't going to give you 450 quid cash for a 14 month old TV - you would have got a 250 quid value TV off them instead if they'd fully replaced it. Most of the "lost" 275 is lost to reduced costs of new equipment.

I would have been happy just to have it repaired but they would not offer that. It was take €175 or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

MYOB wrote: »
    No, it doesn't. It specifies consumer protection periods of which we have a significantly longer one (6 years)

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

Thanks. It's a pity I did not know this before I agreed to a settlement. You live and learn !

I would have been happy just to have it repaired but they would not offer that. It was take €175 or nothing.

Modern televisions are effectively unrepairable.

And as I said, we have a longer period (6 years) of consumer protection here. The text on that site completely misrepresents the EU legislation also - which considering its an EU site is a bit dodgy.

http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/ is rather more accurate. A full refund/replacement for a 14 month old cheap TV for a fault which may not have been present at time of manufacture could easily be considered disproportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I have a 32 inch technika also after about 14 months the picture is gone but there is sound ... Can't locate the recipt and tesco help line won't emtertain me ... Is there anything I can do ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thewife wrote: »
    I have a 32 inch technika also after about 14 months the picture is gone but there is sound ... Can't locate the recipt and tesco help line won't emtertain me ... Is there anything I can do ?
    If you paid by card, is the transaction on a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Oryx wrote: »
    If you paid by card, is the transaction on a statement?

No I paid with cash :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 munwin

Thewife wrote: »

These must only be designed with a life span of 14 months. Was in the same boat here but had my receipt and paid by card also. Got €150 back and kept the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Consumer Issues.

OP did you use your Tesco club card when paying by cash? That would support you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I would still hold them to the 2 year warranty and try to get the rest of the cost price refunded.

sparksfly wrote: »
    I would still hold them to the 2 year warranty and try to get the rest of the cost price refunded.

There is no "2 year warranty". That was never transcribed to Irish law as our existing protections were deemed superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 musicalglenn

My one year old Technika 32 inch just went black tonight with a faint red light flashing. It's apparently very common. No receipt at this stage but did pay with my card. My ordeal with Tesco begins tomorrow I guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

My one year old Technika 32 inch just went black tonight with a faint red light flashing. It's apparently very common. No receipt at this stage but did pay with my card. My ordeal with Tesco begins tomorrow I guess....

It won't be an ordeal if you have a copy of your card showing the purchase and you approach with manners and respect. Most large retailers like tesco have excellent policies for genuine issues.

Advertisement