Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screenwriting to novel writing.

Options
  • 07-02-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I typically write screenplays in my spare time because I like to make animation films. I'm probably not good in the way of formatting but I generally get the principles of writing for screen, especially animation. But I kind of want to learn novel writing, because with all the benefits of screenwriting, you don't really get to practice being eloquent.

I was wondering if you any of could give me tips on transitioning to novel writing, and any differences you notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

A lot of it is the same, and as you are coming from a screen writing background, you'll be aware of things like the best entry and exit points, something that baffles a lot of novelists.

And you'll have "show, don't tell" down pat.

The big difference is that as a screen writer, you are writing from the camera's point of view. As a novelist, you are writing from inside the head of one or more of your characters. You can use internal monologue and sensory details in a way you can't while writing screen plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MakeMyFriend

EileenG wrote: »
    The big difference is that as a screen writer, you are writing from the camera's point of view. As a novelist, you are writing from inside the head of one or more of your characters. You can use internal monologue and sensory details in a way you can't while writing screen plays.

Well in screenwriting, I tend to go for comedy since that's what I'm most comfortable with, and one thing I've noticed in screenwriting that doesn't seem apply to novel writing, is that what's funny on paper, sometimes isn't funny on screen and vice versa. Which I find quite odd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Well, a prat fall can be hilarious on screen, particularly if the actor is good at what she does. But when you describe it on paper, it's just a fall.

Advertisement