Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tax on a company prize

Options
  • 07-02-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there,

Bit of a tricky one. I was lucky enough to win "a car" to the value of 15,000 at my Christmas Party. I have the choice as to whether I take the cash equivalent (which I know will be taxed as it will be put through as part of my salary) or if my employer buys me a car. I am just wondering, does anyone know what tax I would be subjected to if I decided to go with a car? Lets say a 2012 car selling at 15,000. I am not sure what tax my employer is subjected too and what I am? I can ask them too but wanted a neutral opinion before making my (fortunate) decision.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Sulkin wrote: »
    Hi there,

Bit of a tricky one. I was lucky enough to win "a car" to the value of 15,000 at my Christmas Party. I have the choice as to whether I take the cash equivalent (which I know will be taxed as it will be put through as part of my salary) or if my employer buys me a car. I am just wondering, does anyone know what tax I would be subjected to if I decided to go with a car? Lets say a 2012 car selling at 15,000. I am not sure what tax my employer is subjected too and what I am? I can ask them too but wanted a neutral opinion before making my (fortunate) decision.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Tax liability should be the same whether the prize is in cash or in kind (i.e. a car). Key issue is whether the prize is received by reason of your employment, which if yes bring it within the PAYE system (which appears to be the case).

What your employer might be doing is providing the benefit net of payroll taxes i.e. the 15k is a net of tax benefit and your employer has decide to suffer the PAYE liability on the prize. If that's the case the you should have no further liability

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

Thank you for that!

The prize was a draw at work that I won so I assume from what you're saying it has to go through PAYE! would the PAYE liability be the same whether the company or I had to suffer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Did you have to buy a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

Did you have to buy a ticket?

No it was a competition and names were put in a hat

Advertisement