Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-detached left or right

Options
  • 07-02-2014 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Weird question, but do any of you have a preference for the left or right house in a pair of semi detached? Ie when you walk in the stairs being on the left or the right of the house?!

I had always wanted the right aide purely because thats like the house i grew up in. Now we've found our ideal house but its on the left...sounds a bit OCD but i wonder if it'll feel weird to me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Weird question, but do any of you have a preference for the left or right house in a pair of semi detached? Ie when you walk in the stairs being on the left or the right of the house?!

I had always wanted the right aide purely because thats like the house i grew up in. Now we've found our ideal house but its on the left...sounds a bit OCD but i wonder if it'll feel weird to me...

Ask your neighbours to swap with you, problem sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I had always wanted the right aide purely because thats like the house i grew up in. [/QUOTE]

exact same reason I chose my house when buying! We had the choice of which house we wanted, herself wasnt too pushed either way, so left it up to me. :D
    Wouldnt say its OCD one bit, its a big deal buying a house, might as well be comfortable in your soroundings. Having said that you'd probably get used to having the stairs on the other side in no time...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

First world problems!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

which way is the sun ?
    is it to the left or right of the house? if its to the left then you'll get more sun as it comes down the lane, if its to the right the you'll get a shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Make sure your front door isn't right beside your neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have no idea why- as I've never lived in a semi detached- but if I had choice I would 100% definitely go with the right one- something seems weird about having one on the left. Can't put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

ted1 wrote: »
    which way is the sun ?
    is it to the left or right of the house? if its to the left then you'll get more sun as it comes down the lane, if its to the right the you'll get a shadow.

This is the only salient point as far as I would be concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have a left one and main advantage is when I rambles home from the pub worse for wear i imagine i am driving and keeping to the left is natural instincts, just open the door and keep left straight up the stairs and first left again straight into the bathroom and fall asleep in the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Alias G wrote: »
    This is the only salient point as far as I would be concerned.

Just to add it might be the opposite way around if the house faces a different orientation to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have no idea why- as I've never lived in a semi detached- but if I had choice I would 100% definitely go with the right one- something seems weird about having one on the left. Can't put my finger on it.

For most of my life I lived in left sided houses, 2 semi-ds and 2 terraces with stairs on the left side so I would always have the left preference. I'm also left handed :).

Currently live in a detached dormer bungalow and the stairs is on the right. It's a bit odd but as we rarely use the stairs it's no biggie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I hear ya...weird but true

• Registered Users Posts: 34,659 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought I was the only odd ball who fixated on this :D

I grew up in a left side semi D. All my friends in the estate lived in right side semi Ds.

So I always associated the stairs on the left as 'my house' and stairs on the right as other people's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Weird question, but do any of you have a preference for the left or right house in a pair of semi detached? Ie when you walk in the stairs being on the left or the right of the house?!..

Interesting point you raise there ! Having lived in a house with the stairs straight in front as you go in the door, we are currently looking at a house with a left sided stairway and I have to admit it does feel a bit quirky for some reason ?? The house is west facing but dunno if that makes much difference to the positioning of the stairs vis a vis the effect of sunlight on the house.

Will the position of the stairs be a deal breaker for you ? All else being ok with our left sided house, I don't think it would put us off making a bid .

Maybe some posters here with an insight into feng shui or the like might have some thoughts on left v right sided houses ??

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Is that left or right as you face the house or as you look out the front door?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

modmuffin wrote: »
    Face the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

modmuffin wrote: »

Stairs is to left as you face the house - to the right as you look out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Just did a mental cast back and when i was young we always lived in houses with stairs on the right as you come in... Then i rented a few with stairs on the right and eventually bought my first house with them on the .....left., current house has them on th right...

Makes absolutely no odds to me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Lived in a semi-d with stairs on right. Then moved to house with stairs on left. Now our new home has stairs on left, I prefer the left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I agree

Mine's on the left, as was my parents. That's just how I feel comfortable.

My mam is one of 7, and at some stage during her lifetime her parents moved the stairs (why, we have no idea)..the 3 older ones all live in houses that have stairs on the left and the 4 younger with stairs on the right...!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement