Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Place to Live

Options
  • 07-02-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I go up and down a lot on day trips with my dad to Newry and Banbridge. And Im applying for a job at the moment that has 10 different placements with different projects. And Im just wondering where would I be most safe to Live as a Young 22 year old Catholic coming from Louth.
    The projects that I am most interested in are in these following areas: Bangor, Enniskillen, (cultra) Holywood and Coleraine.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Like anywhere in the world, most places will have their dodgy areas. Coleraine has been the location of a couple of isolated but pretty ugly sectarian incidents relatively recently, but just a few miles away are Portstewart & Portrush where loads of students live - Portstewart the better bet IMO but whatever floats your boat. TBH if the area has a lot of painted kerbstones & flags, especially outside the "marching season", it's probably better avoided. Can't see you having issues in Holywood outside of being able to afford a place to live! ;) I'd probably go for Enniskillen, cos it's generally pretty quiet and Loch Erne is a bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whataname

Enniskillen and Lough Erne are nice. I lived there for 6 months last year but I got a job near Galway so I moved back south again . Wages are better back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

so long as you are sensible you'll be fine.

I have never had ANY grief anywhere here and I've been all over the place, and have walked across areas of Belfast crossing from one "side" to the other with not a care in the world.

by sensible I mean don't go out wearing a "I'm a Catholic from Louth, beat me up" sign.... ie Gaelic shirt.

after a week you'll know where you are and if it's safe to wear a rangers hoodie or a celtic shirt!

My Brother in law was a builder for years and one day his (mixed) crew were in a very unionist area, and when the apprentice got a bit warm and took off his sweatshirt to reveal his Ballygalget gaa shirt the rest of the guys grabbed him and locked him in the back of the van! Poor kid hadn't a clue.......

as to living in Cultra, forget it unless you have just won the lottery. think Killiney as an equivalent....

Advertisement