Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play Sega Games online for free

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm sorry if this is common knowledge to everyone but I came across this site today while trying to find the game Combat Cars from when I was young :D

I'm glad to say I found it and also found every single Sega game.. I love the old mega drive games and this is just class.

edit

Enjoy all.

Also if this is already posted i'm sorry... But i'm sure some people won't know it and will love it just like me :D

edit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Okay that's actually a fairly cool website! It runs an emulator in your browser.

nice find!

Dont bother with Muhammed Ali heavy weight boxing.Piss poor!

Master of the Universe

I see it support game saves too. :eek:

/looks for Shadowrun

edit; - To play multiplayer games you gonna need 2 computers , Go to the emulator menu and press the multiplayer

icon and copy the link then send it to the other player, Please check the pic bellow.

SOR 2 anyone? Ciderman? :D

Purely as a matter of interest, someone paste this into their browser...

Edit: snip

I'll give it a bash

• Advertisement

connecting to server

Master of the Universe

Cool :)

I'm currently in work so can't exactly play it through to completion or anything, just want to see what happens! (if anything)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cool :)

I'm currently in work so can't exactly play it through to completion or anything, just want to see what happens! (if anything)

me too ;)

nothing,
    IM going for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wow. That's my productivity gone right out the window.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

But there are apples and turkeys waiting for you on the ground! :(

Yeah still connecting to server on this side too, boo!

I guess Blaze is going to wander the streets of her own again.

Master of the Universe

Tried it with someone in the office, that actually works! hahaha, amazing.

site down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Ah the links where removed..Sorry mod's didn't know it wasn't allowed.

I thought as this was from Sega that they didn't mind people playing there old games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

NeVeR wrote: »
    Ah the links where removed..Sorry mod's didn't know it wasn't allowed.

I thought as this was from Sega that they didn't mind people playing there old games.

It's not from Sega though. I had to laugh at this in their FAQ:
    Q: Is this legal?

A: Yes it’s legal, by playing you are renting a copy of the games we own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

haha.

Ok sorry. I just got excited to see my old games.

Sorry about that
    Myrddin wrote: »

Master of the Universe

It's an interesting argument hypothetically.

The usual retort against file sharing versus traditional lending is that a duplicate is made (therefore it is not lending)

However, with this you're not retaining any game and are literally playing the 'original' which they have on their server. (which theoretically, could have been obtained from their privately owned cart)

At what capacity does 'lending' stop? Does there need to be a physical trade (and trade back) or can something be lent out digitally (still traded back, you just close the browser)?

Now we all know the above is not really the case and they've just thrown a romset onto a server somewhere, but it's interesting nonetheless :)

NeVeR wrote: »
    haha.

Ok sorry. I just got excited to see my old games.

Sorry about that

It's a great site actually, & a nice implementation of emulator tech with the multiplayer too. Unfortunately a lot of those games are still copyright protected, so linking to where you can play them is frowned upon. It's odd though, because at this stage you can't buy these games & have the proceeds go to the copyright owners...so you'd wonder why bother enforcing such laws...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see it support game saves too. :eek:

/looks for Shadowrun

edit; - To play multiplayer games you gonna need 2 computers , Go to the emulator menu and press the multiplayer

icon and copy the link then send it to the other player, Please check the pic bellow.

SOR 2 anyone? Ciderman? :D

Purely as a matter of interest, someone paste this into their browser...

Noooo!

It's an interesting argument hypothetically.

The usual retort against file sharing versus traditional lending is that a duplicate is made (therefore it is not lending)

However, with this you're not retaining any game and are literally playing the 'original' which they have on their server. (which theoretically, could have been obtained from their privately owned cart)

I'd look at this as someone streaming the games data to your browser, the same way as you can stream new release films to your browser. Just because one person owns it, doesn't mean they can be distributed en mass to everyone else.
    At what capacity does 'lending' stop? Does there need to be a physical trade (and trade back) or can something be lent out digitally (still traded back, you just close the browser)?

In this case they're calling it 'renting'. I'm not sure how video game renting normally works, copyright wise. Are the versions of games used by Xtra Vision for example, different versions of the discs? Does any royalty fee get paid to copyright owners? I'm not sure tbh
    Now we all know the above is not really the case and they've just thrown a romset onto a server somewhere, but it's interesting nonetheless :)

Agreed, & they've implemented it very nicely. At the end of the day though, they're still distributing copyright protected code one way or another. As I sad above though, it's not as if you can go out & purchase a Megadrive game & have the royalties paid to the games copyright owners...you're only ever buying them 2nd hand...so should copyright exist in an environment where the owners can no longer benefit from it? (the game isn't retailed any more). I suppose the likes of the Wii VC changes things though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If they are distributing the games data or even streaming the game to you then they are in the wrong, they definitely wouldn't be lending it to you. Also if they are making money even from advertising then they have broken copyright.

For renting games you need to pay a renting license for the software to the copyright holder which costs a hell of a lot more than a copy sold to joe public. Pretty sure this guy isn't paying that.

As for copyright holders that aren't benefiting from any sales, copyright holders still have the potential to make money from the selling of the copyrighted work or the copyright so it's still not right to distribute it freely.

Master of the Universe

I'd look at this as someone streaming the games data to your browser, the same way as you can stream new release films to your browser. Just because one person owns it, doesn't mean they can be distributed en mass to everyone else.

True. Actually I guess the duplication factor doesn't go away as they can still 'rent' their one game to millions of people.

With physical copies it's only one at a time.
    In this case they're calling it 'renting'. I'm not sure how video game renting normally works, copyright wise. Are the versions of games used by Xtra Vision for example, different versions of the discs? Does any royalty fee get paid to copyright owners? I'm not sure tbh.

The video shop franchise must have some kind of agreement with the distributors. I do remember looking at video shop games/dvds over the years and raising an eyebrow to the 'do not rent' small print on them.
    Agreed, & they've implemented it very nicely. At the end of the day though, they're still distributing copyright protected code one way or another. As I sad above though, it's not as if you can go out & purchase a Megadrive game & have the royalties paid to the games copyright owners...you're only ever buying them 2nd hand...so should copyright exist in an environment where the owners can no longer benefit from it? (the game isn't retailed any more). I suppose the likes of the Wii VC changes things though...

I would love to see a scenario where you were only infringing copywrite if the media was currently in production/ distribution.

This has two great results;

It keeps the media 'alive' (like what warez distributors are doing with games long out of print)
    It incentivizes the copywrite holder to either put the media back into production/give it some form of release or sell it on to someone else who would be interested in doing the same.

Nothing bugs me more than trying to get my hands on something which is long out of print and which the copywrite owner has no interest in reprinting or selling on.

Advertisement