Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga Mats

• 07-02-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭

I have a decent yoga mat, but my hands and feet sweat and no matter how strong I hold the pose my feet / hands slip and it's so frustrating. I have washed my mat repeatedly and it's less slippy but still annoying. Can anyone suggest a good non slip yoga mat? I don't do hot yoga but I get quite sweaty as it's vinyassa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

how about putting a cotton mat over your rubber one ?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bonzo_k wrote: »

Or a yoga towel? Have seen a few people using something like this, with rubber grips on one side to grip the mat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

As Pembily already knows... washing the mat can help... but still worth mentioning....

Most sticky yoga mats are covered with a thin film when one buys it new. You won’t notice this unless you know what to look for. The first thing to do with any new yoga mat (not the rubber ones or some of the harder thicker mats) is to wash it in the washing machine at about 40 degrees Celsius, with no washing powder. And maybe wash it 2 or 3 times in a normal wash cycle.

Then dry the yoga mat by placing a bath towel beneath the yoga mat, and another one of top of the mat. Roll this sandwich up as tightly as possible to squeeze out the excess water. Then hang out to dry in a warm place for about 2 to 4 days.

And the more use you give your yoga mat, the more sticky it will become.

Mats bought at Argos or other non yoga places may be ok for Pilates or other fitness exercises but will not offer good grip for yoga poses such as downward dog, especially during an ashtanga sequence where one sweats.

For advice on a good yoga mat which won't slip when you sweat, you could talk to Niamh of Body and Soul http://www.bodyandsoulstore.com/ or Colm at http://www.yogadublin.com/ Both of them have practiced ashtanga and sell mats, so will know they types which are best.

Very often the yoga mats which are best for grip when one sweats are not the most expensive ones.... but you do need to remember to wash them when you buy them.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

I have a manduka pro mat thats a few years old and is used once or twice daily. It still slips if it gets wet from sweat. When this happens I use a mysore rug on top of it to provide traction. They last forever. I have had mine for eleven years. Here is a link to the rug I use. http://www.barefootyoga.com/Search.bok?category=Mysore+Practice+Rugs

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

I used to use a chalk ball to combat slippyness from sweat. Got one in Great Outdoors or similar, one of the ones used for rock climbing. It did mean that your mat can get a bit grubby quicker than normal. Might be a short term fix for you until you get a better mat. Problem was solved when I got a better mat though, and really that's the best option. I agree with previous poster about some of the more commercial mats available in Argos/Tesco etc. I have never found them to be sticky enough, even after numerous washes.

Best mat I have every found is the Jade brand mat from the US. A few people in my classes over the years have had them but they are a big investment at about €75 a pop. I've also heard good things about Manduka mats. the ones I get for my classes/clients are from a German company through the Asana Yoga Shop in the UK, great grip, durability and very reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I might try that but I find my towel slips so not sure if that one would as well.
    Or a yoga towel? Have seen a few people using something like this, with rubber grips on one side to grip the mat.
    I was using a non grip towel but as I am not the best at jumping yet I catch my feet on the mat and the towel goes with me and gets balled up!
    I have a manduka pro mat thats a few years old and is used once or twice daily. It still slips if it gets wet from sweat. When this happens I use a mysore rug on top of it to provide traction. They last forever. I have had mine for eleven years. Here is a link to the rug I use. http://www.barefootyoga.com/Search.bok?category=Mysore+Practice+Rugs
    I will have a look, thanks.
    Namaste1 wrote: »
    Best mat I have every found is the Jade brand mat from the US. A few people in my classes over the years have had them but they are a big investment at about €75 a pop. I've also heard good things about Manduka mats. the ones I get for my classes/clients are from a German company through the Asana Yoga Shop in the UK, great grip, durability and very reasonably priced.
    I think I will invest in one of them as I have seen them in use and they are non slip and no resin. Just need to figure out if anywhere in Dublin sells them.

Thanks for the advice. Thanks as well Dave, I have washed it lots and unfortunately I don't use it enough as it's too frustrating :pac:

Hey Pembily, let us know how the Jade mat works out for you.
    My smaller practice mat is slowly disintegrating and will probably need to be replaced in a few more months so I might buy one of these, rather than lugging a mat and a rug with me to mysore classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Hey Pembily, let us know how the Jade mat works out for you.
    My smaller practice mat is slowly disintegrating and will probably need to be replaced in a few more months so I might buy one of these, rather than lugging a mat and a rug with me to mysore classes.
    That is kinda why I am against the mat - laziness and also means I have to bring an extra thing. I have a nice yoga bag that makes carrying my mat handy but it won't fit a rug.

I will keep ye posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Pembily wrote: »
    I think I will invest in one of them as I have seen them in use and they are non slip and no resin. Just need to figure out if anywhere in Dublin sells them.

YogaDublin Studios sell them, also Danceworld.ie (shops in Ranelagh and Parnell St). They are around €60-70 mark I think. Mine was worth it, it has the best grip ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

RubyGirl wrote: »

I use these over a regular mat, teacher puts some water on the mat aswell where your hands and feet would be. Helps with the grip. Love hot yoga.

Advertisement