Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Haunted Field

Options
  • 07-02-2014 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have only ever shared this sotry with very colse family and friends, I think some took it as a bit of a joke but its 100% true.
    I grew up on a small farm and fron a young age I had been told not to be in a certain field late at night, after 12am or so. This had never been a issue as I had noticed that when it came to the time of year that you still might be out in the fields at that hour, ie. lambing out in spring we never had stock in that field even though it was one of our driest fields.
    Anyway as time rolled by and some of my family passed away the farm fell to me, or at least the work did anyway and in 2010 I was bailing silage in this field (first cut) and I didnt get all the bales in that night as I was conscious not to be in the field too late. The following morning when I returned to the field the crows had done a job on the bales (put holes in the plastic cover) which took me hours fix :mad:.
    When it came to getting the second cut of silage, time again was an issue but this time I said I would stay drawing in the bales so as to avoid the damage by the crows again. All was going grand and as I drove through the first field to get to the field with the bales I looked at the time 02:59am and only a few more to go. I crossed over the bridge into the field and the 16 lights on the tractor suddenly went off :eek: needless to say knowing where I was I got a bit of a fright. I was in total darkness but managed to find a small flash light I had in the cab. I turned off the tractor and waited a few seconds turned it back on and tried the lights, to my relief the lights came back on and again I took note of the time 03:01am. I decided to contuine on drawing the bales as there were only a few left. Soon after I finished I was driving home, in the jeep at this stage when my girlfriend rang to see if I was going to be soon home, I said I was half way home bang on 7 of the 14 miles so id see her in a few minutes. Then I said you'll never guess what happened in that field that I told you about, I told her and she began to get a little upset, so I then said "ah it was probably nothing" at that second the jeep filled up with a fog so thick I couldn't see a thing, I hit the brakes hard and let down the window so as to try and get by bearings, looking out through the opened window I was it was a perfectly clear night with not a bit of fog anywhere. The fog in the jeep cleared and I picked up the fone again and my girlfriend asked what happened. I said nothing but ended up telling her later on. I cant explain what happened but I know it wasnt normal. Needless to say I now respect what I was told and stay out of that field late at night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Haunted "areas" are a common theme in Ireland but they dont really get much attention. In Dublin there are stories that all of Parnell Square West is a haunted street. When I was working in Mayo people would refuse to walk down a stretch of road after dark due to stories and folklore.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭helpme23

Love them stories heard quite a few of them when i was younger they scared the bejesus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Riamfada wrote: »
    When I was working in Mayo people would refuse to walk down a stretch of road after dark due to stories and folklore.

Care to elaborate, I'd love to hear about this road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

haunted field?? ghosts cows??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

fryup wrote: »
    haunted field?? ghosts cows??

Where are you getting the ghost cows from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well you know, the whole cow - field connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Interesting. Have you ever looked into the history of the field? Seems like the first question on everyone's lips would be ''Why can't I go into the field after midnight?''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Whats bugging me more than anything is why you'd need 16 lights on a tractor Gballs?:)

You should look into history of field though...no smoke without fire pardon the pun

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check out www.osi.ie and look at the field in the "historic" view, to see what may have been there once.

Advertisement