Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Htc one -v- IPhone 5

Options
  • 07-02-2014 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I love my iPhone 4 and have it the last couple of years..

I want to start a new bill pay contract prob will stay with meteor. I have to say I can't see myself without an iPhone. But my mate has a htc one & swears its much better than the iPhone.

So my question is what's the better phone in your opinion? Just looking for a bit of advice? Cherrs

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I presume you mean an iPhone 5s? If it's the iPhone 5 then the HTC One completely wipes the floor.

Have a look at the specs comparison to help make up your mind: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5313&idPhone2=5685

HTC One for me everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

How long have you been in the iPhone ecosystem? Are you prepared to start over, just for a device that has better performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd probably be holding out for the One's imminent replacement at this stage. Especially if going for a 2 year contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 FortuneWookiee

^ Agreed.

Mobile World Congress is this month and HTC are expected to announce the HTC M8 (One 2) then with release expected sometime next month.

I'd hold off and get the the new HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Idleater wrote: »
    How long have you been in the iPhone ecosystem? Are you prepared to start over, just for a device that has better performance?

That's a very good point. I convinced a mate of mine move from iPhone 4 to Nexus 5. Although he loves the Nexus, he swears if Apple release a decent big phone he'll be back as he's too tied to their ecosystem and likes the simplicity of iOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I had an iPhone 3Gs for ages and when it came time to upgrade I gave a Android a try. I bought a Galaxy S3 but it wasn't for me. I switched back to the 5S when it released. I prefer the UI for iOS and I also think (probably an unpopular opinion) but iTunes is the easiest way to manage songs photos etc. People always say that iOS is too "closed" and android gives tou way more freedom etc but I can honestly say that for me, in a phone I don't wast/need any freedom. Its a phone after all. Maybe on a tablet but I think the iPhone is the best all round phone available, I never came up against a task that I wanted to do with the iPhone which it couldn't do that an android phone could.

I also assume as you have posted this in the Android section you will get biased opinions. For some reason people align themselves with a phone manufacturer like its a war or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Don't get me wrong, my belief is that the htc one (never mind the one 2) is a better phone, in terms of hardware, software and design, and as an owner of one, I thoroughly recommend it. However, to switch to any Android device after building up a collection of perhaps bought iOS apps and accessories, to switch because a friend says their phone is better needs consideration.

I also own an iPad and Mac book so am perfectly aware of app duplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Good points being made about walking away from the investment made in the iOS ecosystem.

However, for me after weighing it all up, I thought it was worth the hassle, so I made the change to android nearly 2 years ago. My main motivation at the time was that I just fancied a change. So impressed since then that I sold my iPad at Xmas to buy a nexus 7.

Can't see myself going back to iOS any time soon. Having said that, in the time that I have been a non iPhone user, the UI on iOS has improved, mainly because of concepts that apple borrowed from what android had been doing for years.

Can't think of anything android can do that iOS can't???? One word. Swiftkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

100 times this.

Was talking with a work colleague who is thinking of moving to iOS, and I started thinking about if I moved how could I survive without Swiftkey. The only solution I came up with was that Evernote on iOS now lets you use Swifkey as your keyboard, so anytime I want to send a msg/email/IM I'd have to write it in Evernote using Swiftkey and then copy and paste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Only thing with Android phones is that they not perfect out of the box.
    Chrome, SwiftKey and mx player should all come as standard.
    I constantly see people using the standard keyboard, giving out about it and saying the iPhone keyboard is better.

Google please buy SwiftKey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I haven't kept up to date with IOS so maybe it can do these now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Widgets - Not for everybody. I've 4 widgets on my 4 home screens. 3 of them get used every day.

Transfer files without software on the PC - I can plug my phone into any PC. No faffing about installing apps to copy over music or videos. Maybe the iPhone can do this now.

Change default apps - I've changed my stock keyboard, SMS app, video player, music player & browser.

There are some apps I have on my phone that don't have apps as good on the iPhone (Yatse, Transdroid). There probably are similar or equivalent apps but those two are absolutely brilliant and in fairness IOS has some apps that are better than their Android equivalents.

There may be more. Those few are just relevant for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

They haven't bought SwiftKey but this keyboard comes with the newer versions of Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
    Swiftkeys still better, but I never thought the IOS keyboard was all that hot either.

b.gud wrote: »
    100 times this.

Was talking with a work colleague who is thinking of moving to iOS, and I started thinking about if I moved how could I survive without Swiftkey. The only solution I came up with was that Evernote on iOS now lets you use Swifkey as your keyboard, so anytime I want to send a msg/email/IM I'd have to write it in Evernote using Swiftkey and then copy and paste :D

I picked SwiftKey up or free on my S3 actually which wads a steal at then time! Ill admit it was very good on the prediction/learning side but the iOS keyboard isnt too bad. I found the stock keyboard on the S3 to be shocking though!

Only thing with Android phones is that they not perfect out of the box.
    Chrome, SwiftKey and mx player should all come as standard.
    I constantly see people using the standard keyboard, giving out about it and saying the iPhone keyboard is better.

I think in more recent times Chrome has actually been installed by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Android > iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

There is always a bit of hardware specism going on with the Android -> iOS comparison. Benchmark tests tend to show iOS wins hands down on benchmark tests on any release of a new phone when compared to the latest android phones.

But I wouldn't urger anybody to change OSes.

One thing that iOS definitely has the advantage on is updates.
    Manufacture skinned versions of Android are painfully slow to update. Best to go for a Nexus device or put on CM

djPSB wrote: »
    Android > iphone.

I must commend you on your vast catalog of valid points and well structured arguement :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I am open to correction, but is it not just available in some apps, but not for SMS or some other ios functions? I don;t own an idevice so can't say for sure, but I thought I read that on engadget recently when they were discussing it.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    I am open to correction, but is it not just available in some apps, but not for SMS or some other ios functions? I don;t own an idevice so can't say for sure, but I thought I read that on engadget recently when they were discussing it.

This is my understanding of it as well, I know that they definitely mentioned that Evernote would have Swiftkey. And on a winder iOS scale developers can choose to have a third party keyboard if they wish, but it will be confined to said apps and not available system wide. At least that was my understanding

5starpool wrote: »

I had no idea, I just saw the article but not being an iPhone user didn't read it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

At this moment in time you would probably enjoy the 5s over the HTC One. The 5s is a very big leap over the 4 in terms of features & performance. Have you tried playing with your friends HTC and seeing if Android is for you? You say you love your iPhone 4, then you will almost definitely love a 5s. I've owned all the iPhones since the 4 and although I am tempted by a bigger screen (Nexus 5), I am going to wait until the iPhone 6 and see what that brings before I consider the switch to Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Thanks for all the advice guys.. I gonna wait it out & think more about it.. So confused haha

Advertisement