Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting for Dummies?

Options
  • 07-02-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Hope to jaysus I'm allowed to ask this, but I've got an S3, and I know I'm not getting the most out of it. It seriously needs a revamp, and I've heard such good things about rooting the phone to get the most out of it.

Basically looking for someone to point me in the right direction for a recommended rooting procedure that's relatively straightforward. I'm no mad tech-whizz, but I'm well capable of reading and following instructions :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Hope to jaysus I'm allowed to ask this, but I've got an S3, and I know I'm not getting the most out of it. It seriously needs a revamp, and I've heard such good things about rooting the phone to get the most out of it.

Basically looking for someone to point me in the right direction for a recommended rooting procedure that's relatively straightforward. I'm no mad tech-whizz, but I'm well capable of reading and following instructions :p

For S3 Rooting, etc.......take a look here.....you will need to read and follow instructions!!! [but, I used it, and I am just 60 y/old..nearly!!!]

SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery + MORE

Also, rooting is not a panacea, you may need to consider a custom ROM, as Sammy packs a lot of shyte into its Stock ROM's.....

there are many choices here:

Galaxy S III Android Development....

I am presuming you have the International S3, GT-I9300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

If you're looking for the simplest option, and don't require the backup ability given by root beforehand, you could do worse than to use the Cyanogenmod Installer. Only in the last few days I rooted my phone (manually since I wanted to do a full helium backup, but the installer will do it for you otherwise) and used the Mac beta (out of laziness) and wouldn't go back to stock Samsung rom now at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thanks guys, gonna take a look at those when I get home and see what I can do!

For S3 Rooting, etc.......take a look here.....you will need to read and follow instructions!!! [but, I used it, and I am just 60 y/old..nearly!!!]

SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery + MORE

Also, rooting is not a panacea, you may need to consider a custom ROM, as Sammy packs a lot of shyte into its Stock ROM's.....

there are many choices here:

Galaxy S III Android Development....

I am presuming you have the International S3, GT-I9300

I have the international version, but the closest Android Version in the Toolkit is 4.1 - I'm on 4.3! Not really sure how to proceed there without bricking the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I have the international version, but the closest Android Version in the Toolkit is 4.1 - I'm on 4.3! Not really sure how to proceed there without bricking the phone!
    I don't recommend rooting your phone unless you can figure it out by googling and searching on XDA Developers (you've already been given the link to here). You can potentially damage it and attempting to root your phone can void your warranty leaving you with a very expensive but relatively light brick.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I don't recommend rooting your phone unless you can figure it out by googling and searching on XDA Developers (you've already been given the link to here). You can potentially damage it and attempting to root your phone can void your warranty leaving you with a very expensive but relatively light brick.

I've had the phone about two years now, not sure I still have a warranty :p
    Nonetheless, Cyanogen mod worked great, surprising how fast my phone is with all the same Google apps I had before, and none of the stupid Samsung nonsense clogging it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

Check out cynogenmod.org . The do an new easy installer . It does everything for u. Step by step. Just check it works on ur phone first. Tis is prob the easiest way also YouTube someone using the installer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I'm so sorry, I have not had the S3 for some time, and the Toolkit was the method I used to root, etc, when I had it!!

But, as you say, I was on 4.1 then, and things have moved on since then, the Dev does not seem to have continued with this project :(

I really hope you didn't suffer any inconvenience due to my earlier link??

It looks as though you have CM on your device, and that suits most ppl, and it's rooted, so no messin....

There are also ROMs which are not CM.....

I'm not sure if you have custom recovery or not, probably you have, so in my link to XDA, there are many options regarding ROM's.

Ayway, orry again if I mislead you, it was not intentional....and happy flashing!!!

No problems Irishpancake, made for interesting reading and the CyanogenMod was what I went for in the end. My partner couldn't believe the difference it made, I have to install it for him later as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I've had the phone about two years now, not sure I still have a warranty :p
    Nonetheless, Cyanogen mod worked great, surprising how fast my phone is with all the same Google apps I had before, and none of the stupid Samsung nonsense clogging it up!
    Fair play for doing it on your own. Breathes new life into your phone and makes it seem like you've bought a new one.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Fair play for doing it on your own. Breathes new life into your phone and makes it seem like you've bought a new one.

It wasn't too bad! Had a bit of bother with it not being able to pick up my phone half way through the installation, but there was info in the FAQ for a manual driver installation so I got it in the end.

The new stock music player rocks my world.

Advertisement