Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LSE Feminist loses debate, so censors Youtube video

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So this video of a guy out-debating some Women's Studies students got quite a few hits a while back and now it has become popular one of them asked Youtube to take it down so she doesn't look so stupid (even though she clearly knew she was being filmed and agreed to take part!)

They have now capitulated to her demands and deleted the video which had almost 50K views.

A bunch of people are mirroring it, and a nice bit of Streisand effect is occurring with the mirror now up to almost 10K, so here's what she doesn't want you to see:

The guilty party who took down the video is shown at 6m12s (the supposed domestic violence expert)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Claim to be an expert as part of a debate you agree to take part in, get shown to have serious holes in your "expertise", throw a hissy and appeal for censorship. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thught the one that kept shouting was the worst. Nothing says 'I am unable to debate logically' than shouting in someones face. It reminds me of the red haired girl with the glasses from another video.

I think the guy carefully edited out anyone who was very knowledgeable in the area though unless he just didn't find any.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think the guy carefully edited out anyone who was very knowledgeable in the area though unless he just didn't find any.
    I'd like to think so too PR, but I suspect he didn't have to. Precious few men or women would be aware of the domestic violence stats and their breakdown and would assume the general notion that it's mostly gonna be men involved as perpetrators. An idea that I'd bet would still hold sway if you asked a random number of people back in 1900. The assumption that in general men are the aggressors and women the victims has a very long social history. Long before feminism and indeed sexist and prejudiced towards both genders. The gender paygap is another one that's a given in the public mind and oft repeated, but when you look at the stats more closely it's a lot more of a grey area. I'm sure your average bod or bodess on the streets of the US also believes the one in four college rapes notion too. The list of givens in the public mind with very shaky foundations is a long one. That's fine up to a point, but when establishments of higher learning are also promoting such shaky stuff as fact, that's a real problem.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I thught the one that kept shouting was the worst. Nothing says 'I am unable to debate logically' than shouting in someones face. It reminds me of the red haired girl with the glasses from another video.

I remember her. Her argument consisted of shouting shut the f**k up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

I remember her. Her argument consisted of shouting shut the f**k up.

That's the basic feminist argument 'you're a man, shut up!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, ye should check the studies he cited. I can't be bothered to check them, but if feminism is biased, then there's a good chance those studies would be as well.

God, I hate the gender debate. We have people pushing a conservative view, that is women are victims and men are the aggressors, that are seen as conservative, and now we have MRA's.

For all the good points they raise, they are a reactionary group against feminism. So, they have a certain amount of gender-segratory and dehumanizing the other side that feminism has.

It's honestly a bit of a pity. We could have improved everybodies life, but instead we've just increased the fear. Men are afraid of being seen as a rapist/paedophile and women are increasingly afraid of rapists and pedophiles.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, ye should check the studies he cited. I can't be bothered to check them, but if feminism is biased, then there's a good chance those studies would be as well.
    Well the domestic abuse stat of it being near 50/50 is well cited. The very vague fudging of the paygap "women are paid less than men" stats are also well regarded as being not so black and white across the board. Given he's suing the university, who would be quick to bring out their big gun expert witnesses from staff, I'd bet his position is pretty strong in much of what he's claiming.

The fact that one of his interviewees is now pulling a strop and demanding their interaction be censored also helps his case. You can be damn sure in the many months since she and others like her have trawled the literature to prove him wrong. If they could have, then they would have and she wouldn't be embarrassed, nor be so quick to call for censorship. This tells you a couple more things too. People who are wrong and know it are much more likely to call for censorship and people, groups or ideas that are considered powerful and unassailable are more likely to be granted it.
    God, I hate the gender debate. We have people pushing a conservative view, that is women are victims and men are the aggressors, that are seen as conservative, and now we have MRA's.

For all the good points they raise, they are a reactionary group against feminism. So, they have a certain amount of gender-segratory and dehumanizing the other side that feminism has.
    Oh I'd agree there GG2. More and more "battlelines" are being drawn. NOw mostly it's in either the dafter more wooly headed end of "arts" university courses, or on equally daft interweb sites. Both are a small number of eejits on both sides. Still the worry is that this may filter down to the rest of us, the average person on the street that thinks ah feck off the lot of ye. However some of the eye swivelingly daft end of feminism did filter down to some degree and I'd worry that the same will happen with the male version of daftness. The PUA guff is a good example where a lot of well dodgy stuff became mainstream.
    It's honestly a bit of a pity. We could have improved everybodies life, but instead we've just increased the fear. Men are afraid of being seen as a rapist/paedophile and women are increasingly afraid of rapists and pedophiles.
    And bot are being paranoid and daft IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

I'm glad there are MRAs raising issues and points. In a court room, if only one side is represented, one will end up with a biased result.

It's much easier to sit back and make justifications to not challenge feminism. It makes for an easier life. And that's why it has been so powerful in society: so many people have reminded quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harrietharmman

I don't doubt that eh selected some of the worst people, but there was one fairly reasonable woman in there too.

Many people are ignorant about domestic violence, particularly in feminist dominated environments such as universities. Of course it's not simply their fault, they're relatively young and impressionable, it's those indoctrinating them with misandrist lies have the most to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Actually, I've changed my mind about this video and why it was taken down. Everybody should be able to decide whether their face appears on a video.

It reminds me of shaming/fear tactics that have been used against university men for a very, very long time. If a 'Rape Crisis Centre' filmed me without my permission you better believe I'd try and get them to take it down.

But, the faces could have been blurred rather than taken down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    If a 'Rape Crisis Centre' filmed me without my permission you better believe I'd try and get them to take it down.

It is hardly without her permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I don't get you GalwayGuy, it looks pretty obvious that the people in the video are aware of the camera and that the conversation is being filmed no?
    If they don't want their faces to go on camera, why stand in front of the thing in the first place?
    I think it's more of a "shyt, I looked stupid in that video, I'm going to kick up a fuss and get it taken down" situation IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

The shouting is to me, a blocking mechanism (to protect the established ideology) when the awkward questions are asked. However, I do think there was a large degree of hyperbole in the video and in general, that often discredits online material in the public eye. Best thing - show the whole recording unedited (so that people can make their own judgements) and then have the analysis thereafter (use clips from the video if necessary). I feel that sticking in comments over the heads of people in the recording is disrespectful - for example, the person who was labelled a 'DV Expert' should be been dealt with in the said analysis section instead.

Middle Man wrote: »
    The shouting is to me, a blocking mechanism (to protect the established ideology) when the awkward questions are asked. However, I do think there was a large degree of hyperbole in the video and in general, that often discredits online material in the public eye. Best thing - show the whole recording unedited (so that people can make their own judgements) and then have the analysis thereafter (use clips from the video if necessary). I feel that sticking in comments over the heads of people in the recording is disrespectful - for example, the person who was labelled a 'DV Expert' should be been dealt with in the said analysis section instead.

I'm a man. A big man. If I even slightly raise my voice in any setting I'm being aggressive and I'm being threatening. The same applies to 95% of men regardless of stature. No matter how retarded the argument I'm refuting I'm not allowed to sigh or appear exasperated in any way because that's me asserting the advantage society has given me. I have no problem with cutting things to show loud and quite frankly hysterical (uh-oh) women having absolutely no point to make except to make a scene and therefore be right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I'm a man. A big man. If I even slightly raise my voice in any setting I'm being aggressive and I'm being threatening. The same applies to 95% of men regardless of stature. No matter how retarded the argument I'm refuting I'm not allowed to sigh or appear exasperated in any way because that's me asserting the advantage society has given me. I have no problem with cutting things to show loud and quite frankly hysterical (uh-oh) women having absolutely no point to make except to make a scene and therefore be right.

I think you got me wrong - I couldn't agree with you more. The shouting I was referring to was that of the women in the video - I did notice that the guy stayed quite cool and that in itself was enough to put a chink in the women's armour - the hyperbole was IMO unnecessary and only gives feminists a stick to beat him with. I followed the 'Occupy New York' movement and in my mind, one of the main things that killed it was the hyperbole - it annoyed a lot of people online - let us not make that mistake in our quest for equal recognition regarding men.

Advertisement