Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England and Wales Marriage index

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Quick question re. England and Wales Marriage Index .Found(fairly sure but ?)a relatives marriage on it (July-Sept 1943) and it gives the spouses surname as "Sargent or Young".No one else on the same page has a double entry for the wifes name.

Just wondering would this mean that she was married before ?Very possible I would assume.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Maybe, but I've not heard of that before.

The strange this is that there really are two separate records for the spouse, Kathleen Sargent and Kathleen Young. Looks like you're going to have to order that cert !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My best guess would be a previous marriage with one of those surnames being her maiden name. I've seen that on Irish certs but it often looks like a double barrel in the index.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Thanks.
    Don't think its worth the hassle or cost to order the cert. just to find out his wife's maiden name.

On a related note does anyone here know where to find a list of recipients of awards in the UK.
    The above person received some award or other in the late 1950s /early 1960s. Have a photo of him in top hat and tails with his wife and first cousin taken outside Buckingham Palace.
    Presume it was one of those you get for long service in the civil service(war office or board of trade I think)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

https://www.gov.uk/honours/honours-lists

This shows the recent stuff but suggests you can search the London Gazette for older ones.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement