Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boru inset stove problems

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi looking for help. Got boru chieftan inset 15kw stove with back boiler instaled 1year ago. So disappointed with heat to rads and water. Stove can be on all day rads can be warm at times never piping hot rads only warm 2/3rds of the way down. Have thermostat in hot press set at 60degrees find it so hard to keep at that temp even though constantly feeding the fire. When you have two short showers all rads go cold is this normal? Im going insane wondering whats wrong. Please need advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

cath82 wrote: »
    Hi looking for help. Got boru chieftan inset 15kw stove with back boiler instaled 1year ago. So disappointed with heat to rads and water. Stove can be on all day rads can be warm at times never piping hot rads only warm 2/3rds of the way down. Have thermostat in hot press set at 60degrees find it so hard to keep at that temp even though constantly feeding the fire. When you have two short showers all rads go cold is this normal? Im going insane wondering whats wrong. Please need advice

how many rads is it feeding?
    do you have alot of hot water from the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cath82

rightjob! wrote: »
    how many rads is it feeding?
    do you have alot of hot water from the fire?

Hi I taught I had 12 which is what the stove will heat .when measured them I actually have 16. I have rads upstairs turned off so only has to heat 9 in total downstairs. With stove on all day u wud get two good hot showers but thats it then

Hi I taught I had 12 which is what the stove will heat .when measured them I actually have 16. I have rads upstairs turned off so only has to heat 9 in total downstairs. With stove on all day u wud get two good hot showers but thats it then

are any of them double panel rads?
    do you know what way it was piped?dual coil cylinder?

rightjob! wrote: »
    are any of them double panel rads?
    do you know what way it was piped?dual coil cylinder?

Yes 3 downstairs are doubles and 3singles so I have 9 in total. I dont know sorry all I know is that plumber used the existing cylinder we had in hotpress

the cylinder is a single coil. in house now lowered thermostat down to 50degrees as i was in plumbing shop today and they told me to do that. not long ago put coal on and 3 briquetts pump has turned of yet again and rads are gone cool.

• Advertisement

the cylinder is a single coil. in house now lowered thermostat down to 50degrees as i was in plumbing shop today and they told me to do that. not long ago put coal on and 3 briquetts pump has turned of yet again and rads are gone cool.

if its asingle coil you would need somebody to come out and have a look the way the system is piped.
    the installer want nothing to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dencas

Have Boru Chieftan stove as well and wish I never had it installed. Never gets heat to the rads (12) and water is just tepid. Could be throwing coal at it all day. Wish I had my old back-boiler again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

I have the carraig mor 30 kw. Just burning turf and I have warm(not hot) rads most of the day. 15 doubles, and plenty of hot water. Stat set to 55

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

only had experience with one chieftain insert stove.
    When initially installed the performance was terrible, no heat to the rads water or the room.
    After consulting with boru and a lot of investigation work there was a plumbing issue in the house. once this was rectified the stove worked well.

The confusing thing about it was that there had been an oil cooker in the house that was replaced by an outside boiler and both of these heated the house and water well with the original plumbing configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dencas

Thanks TPM I'm still dealing with the supplier of the Chieftan but maybe I should also contact Boru. Had a Firebird back boiler which worked well to maintain heat in the rads, that was taken out as well as the pump. Plumber thinks a new tech modulating pump maybe the problem and we are first having that removed for an old type pump.
    Fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

You could try and pm their representative on here, I think he goes by Boru stoves Richard. Not sure if it might be any use to you.

Advertisement