Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question to IT Grads about travel

Options
  • 06-02-2014 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

To anyone who has graduated with a degree in IT related discipline, would it be important to enter the field straight away after graduating? Or if someone were to go travelling for a year, would their job prospects be hindered?

I'm asking this because the industry is always changing and am under the impression that being out of it too long would affect the value of an IT qualification.

Any input would greatly be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

What employees really want to see is IT certs on top of the degree so they know you will continue to upskill. Depending on the area your in there MCSA, Cisco, Java certs etc that you can upskill in your own time.

Do the Certs in an area that your particularly interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Christy92

Lovely stuff!
    So a gap in the CV wouldn't be as detrimental as they make it out to be so long as I'm still upskilling? I'm passionate about IT but there's always that feeling you're missing out as well if you're not currently in a position :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why not travel and work? Take a contract here and there as you go...

Ideally that's what I would like to do but part of me likes to be prepared for the 'just in case' scenario. Surely it'd be harder for a graduate with little/no experience fresh out of college to find work in a different country as you're competing with native graduates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Christy92 wrote: »
    Lovely stuff!
    So a gap in the CV wouldn't be as detrimental as they make it out to be so long as I'm still upskilling? I'm passionate about IT but there's always that feeling you're missing out as well if you're not currently in a position :P

When the phrase "Gaps in the CV" comes up, they generally mean 3-4 years or more. A few months or a year is easily explained. A person passionate in IT who didnt work in IT for 3 years raises questions. What were they doing? Were they in prison? Rehab?

• Advertisement

Well that makes a lot of sense! Pardon the naivety, I've no experience of the industry so the only info I can get is by asking questions to insiders :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I knew an IT guy who was unemployed for 3 years during an IT boom. Turned he just couldnt work with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lots of graduates travel for a year after college. It pretty much expected on a CV. I would go as far as to say that when you don't see it you will expect them to go traveling early on while working. Either quitting their job or asking for an extended break.

I wouldn't see it as a bad thing. Some companies maybe obsessed with a show of extra course and a passion for IT but they will expect you to work as a life as opposed to working to have a life.

Personally I would prefer a well rounded person but there is a place for everybody in work and many different working environments.

Advertisement