Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working without Ni number

Options
  • 06-02-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is it possible to work in the uk without a national insurance number?I heard that you get emergency taxed til it comes through,can anyone tell me whats the truth?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

DCarson wrote: »
    Is it possible to work in the uk without a national insurance number?I heard that you get emergency taxed til it comes through,can anyone tell me whats the truth?

Yes u get emergency taxed.i work offshore for a uk company but live in Ireland,busy trying to sort it all out but has taken me over 4months already

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

marc96 wrote: »
    Yes u get emergency taxed.i work offshore for a uk company but live in Ireland,busy trying to sort it all out but has taken me over 4months already

What do you mean by offshore? If none of the duties of your employment are undertaken in the UK and you don't live there, you should not be taxed in the UK and your employer should be looking for a PAYE Exclusion Order not chasing you for a NINO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Getting a NI involves going for an interview of sorts. I had to book an appointment and bring in all my papers but it was pain free. Having said that I was not starting work for several weeks so there was no panic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Marcusm wrote: »
    What do you mean by offshore? If none of the duties of your employment are undertaken in the UK and you don't live there, you should not be taxed in the UK and your employer should be looking for a PAYE Exclusion Order not chasing you for a NINO.

I work for a uk based company and I work in the North Sea uk sector

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

marc96 wrote: »
    I work for a uk based company and I work in the North Sea uk sector

Where are you tax resident though? If you aren't tax resident in the UK then you should be paying UK tax, if you are tax resident in Ireland then you should be paying Irish tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

How much does this cost?

And, if you don't have an fixed address (ie. if you have just moved to the UK and are in temporary accom.) can you still get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

How much does this cost?

And, if you don't have an fixed address (ie. if you have just moved to the UK and are in temporary accom.) can you still get one?

Didn't cost me anything except time at the interview in the local Job Centre. They will need proof of address for you. That's how they know where to send your NI card and further correspondence. If you think you won't be at that address for long enough then you could probably ask them to hold it for you to collect. You should call them anyway or ask on the day of interview.

Advertisement