Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The After - Chris Carter Amazon Studios Show

Options
  • 06-02-2014 5:13pm

Surprised that there isn't more out there about this considering the talent behind it. Chris Carter returns after a 10 year absence from TV with his new show The After. The After is about eight strangers who are thrown together by mysterious forces and must help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation.

Really hope that this is half as good as Millennium and the first few series of The X-Files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭brevity

I just signed up to an amazon prime free trial hoping to watch this but its region restricted :( I have a plugin that I was hoping might get me around any region restrictions but it didnt work. Can't find it anywhere else...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I want to like, I'll reserve judgement. No doubt X Phile Carter haters will dislike it, and it might take a bit of kicking.

Another clip thanks to X Files News

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

you don't need to be an Amazon prime member to view it

Lovefilm in the UK have Bosch so is assume they have this and the 8 other pilots available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Looks interesting but this thread is the first I've heard of it so that doesn't exactly bode well. I'll certainly be giving the pilot a watch though if for no other reason than its Chris Carter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

brevity wrote: »
    I just signed up to an amazon prime free trial hoping to watch this but its region restricted :( I have a plugin that I was hoping might get me around any region restrictions but it didnt work. Can't find it anywhere else...

I use smartdns from overplay. Works a treat for such restrictions and not just amazon instant video. You have to pay for it though but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,331 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed it lots of cliched characters and writing, not sure the story would last for a 22 episode run.

Might be better if it was picked up for 10-12 episodes or a mini series.

If it comes down to this or Bosch to be picked up Bosch wins IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not surprised we're only hearing about it now, Amazon doesn't really have the brand awareness of Netflix. Wouldn't be too concerned. As for 22 episodes, again not sure what their economic model is.

Some initial thoughts on 1.01

It's been 12 years Chris Carter's last name appeared on the small screen when his most successful show, The X Files, ended. Now, of course, the idea of the small screen is something that fits in your hand, with an array of content and online commentary thrown in. Since TXF finished he was involved in a legal dispute with Fox, the show's home for 9 years and the second feature film.

The story starts
    with an actress a little disconnected from her daughter/family in a standard 'checking in with...' scene. The audition is fun (maybe her style could challenge Megan Draper!) and we also see how prepping for it comes in handy later. Things also begin the basement, one of perhaps a few nods to Carter's former show. Naturally enough, something happens, though quite what that is largely left unanswered.

Onto the folks, or The Group. The set up is fairly standard. We have
    a cop, a lawyer, a woman who takes her clothes off, a middle aged rich lady, a clown, a convict, the aforementioned actress and the racist arsehole Irish guy who's fond of the sauce, swearing and has a questionable accent to match. I'll leave out any further specifics.

The obvious question is whether these people are likeable, save for some degree of arseholeness. For me, I'm gonna say yes, and I didn't really have any key issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone with a US iTunes account, the App works fine here with Irish Amazon login credentials. You'll need a VPN though to watch the content.

Only watched the first few minutes of the show, but thought it was pretty meh so far. Very much reminds me of Stephen Kings The Langoliers so far. And your mans Irish accent, while prob one of the better attempts ive seen on TV, is a bit exaggerated! Actings a bit naff and seems to lack the prium quality of Netflix's House of Cards. But I'll watch it all before I make a final judgement.

Pretty big 'meh' for me. Might watch another episode or two, but that's about it.

• Advertisement

Pretty big 'meh' for me. Might watch another episode or two, but that's about it.

There is no other episodes it will be picked up if this one is seen to be a success

Well. I guess I won't be seeing any more episodes then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I really enjoyed that pilot. It was everything "The Event" could have been but wasn't. I thought the acting and effects and stuff were decent enough considering it was purely a pilot with so series order. There was some good mystery, and things seemed to move along reasonably well. I'd like to see this get picked up.

I'll need to rewatch it then, because I kinda thought it landed flat. Some very stereotyped characters (drunken Irish guy, black guy that was in prison, extremely cliched Latinos, slutty blonde), dodgy acting in parts, nudity (OK, odd thing to say, but it seems to be everywhere and seemed like it added absolutely nothing to the plot), and dodgy CGi. Even the whole Apocalyptic scene, which could potentially make or break a TV show (while Flashforward failed, its one was excellent) wasn't all that apocalyptic and the reveal of
    everyone having the exact same birthday so they all must have been chosen somehow
    was, itself, cliched.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I finally got around to watching it this morning. The Irish guy really got on my nerves - he's a Welsh actor putting on an Irish accent, and he was bordering on caricature, but overall it was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Watched it this morning and thought it was very good, hope it goes to series.

While the Irish accent wasn't great at least the guy was trying to do an actual Dublin accent. It's a step up from the usual where they sound like a bad impression of Ian Paisley while claiming to be from Cork.

Only after getting around to watching this and I have to say that I thought it was fantastic. The set up is somewhat itched and the characters are as stock as they come but far as pilots go, it's one of the best I've seen in years.

A number if other shows have tried a similar story but this is the first where it actually works. There's a real sense of mystery to it all and the manner in which society is breaking down is interesting. The end scene reveal was completely unexpected and brilliantly handled. It came comepleyely out of left field a d was the last thing I expected. Really hope that if it goes ahead Cartwr will focus on telling a story and building the mythos without letting it turn into an X-Files type situation in which the core story is dragged out.

Any idea when Amazon says yes or no?

Any idea when Amazon says yes or no?

Couple of weeks, maybe a month or so. I imagine that Bosch is a definite pick up and I think The After is going to get a series.

• Advertisement

Alpha House which was picked up last year had it's pilot in April and was it was picked up at the end of May and the series was released in November I would expect the same kind of time frame for these pilots if they are picked up.

Been picked up for a full series, hopefully see it sometime near the end of summer

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Excellent!

Really glad this got picked up. The pilot is one of the best in a long time, it has a number of issues but there's nothing that can't be fixed. The shorter episode order means that Carter wont need to deliver filler in order to fill 22 episodes. The final scene in the pilot knocked me for six, it was completely out of left field and is one of the oddest visuals we've seen in a long time. Hell it managed to be far more interesting in those 40 or so seconds that all of Under the Dome. There's a sense that Carter has the show's mysteries already set down and unlike the X-Files won't be making it up as he goes along.

I haven't read many reviews. One I heard said that, on the down side, it felt like Chris Carter hadn't watched any TV in about 10 years. Based on the odd interview, that's true, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭brevity

Just finished watching it and found OK I guess.

It's terribly cliched and some of the acting is quite weak. The writing isn't much better. The French woman goes to her flat to get supplies but doesn't think to change out of a dress that might as well be underwear. But it's ok cos she put her hair up has sensible shoes now. She also wants to go back to the house to get her phone that died and there is nowhere to charge it?? Never mind the guys with shotguns?!?

The set pieces (we all have the same birthday, please) were very obvious as well. Get the Irish guy drunk and have him fight!!

I'd agree with that comment that Carter hasn't watched TV in about 10 years. Feels like a made for TV movie which, and this might be slightly unfair, is Carter to a T.

After watching True Detective and House of Cards recently perhaps I'm expecting too much. I'll give it a chance when it comes around but this will go the way of Falling Skies and Under the Dome imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really need to rewatch this as I feel like I'm in the minority that really didn't like it!

I was really looking forward to this as well :(:mad:
    “We have decided to not move forward with ‘The After,’ ” said Price. “We would like to thank Chris Carter, the phenomenal cast, crew and producers for all their efforts.”
    Amazon ordered the show to series last March, along with five other projects, after getting strong viewer feedback to the pilot that debuted on Amazon Prime last February.

Amazon would not elaborate on why the series was tabled but offered a statement from Roy Price, veep of Amazon Studios. Only the pilot was produced.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/amazon-studios-chris-carter-the-after-scraps-series-order-exclusive-1201392623/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Pity, I would have liked to see what they'd have done with it.

Advertisement