Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting shoes

Options
  • 06-02-2014 4:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering what shoes you guys were while commuting. Currently, I'm commuting on a single speed, On One pompino, with standard non clip in pedals and I'm just wearing old runners. They got absolutely annihilated in the rain yesterday morning and despite my best efforts were not dry by morning.

So I'm thinking I need some more suitable foot wear, better weather proofing and more rigidity are the priorities.

Anyone use anything similar at the momeny.?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

First port of call is a decent set of mudguards - SKS commuters (fixed) or Race blades (removable).

Shoes - assuming you're going down the SPD route - I use Sidi Diablo winter boots - they're goretex lined (expensive, but Shimano doa decent goretex boot as well) . Coupled with overshoes and long leggings they keep me dry. Worked well over this week.

Otherwise, you can get gaiters for standard footwear - something like these. Not the prettiest, but will keep most of the crap off you.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=17817;page=1;menu=1000,18,63;mid=184

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've got these shoes, http://goo.gl/ER54Rw there covers, http://goo.gl/N1DpuZ and they do the job pretty well, Since putting tape to block the water coming in via the cleats even with the bad weather of this week I get the shoes dry in a few hours. Most normal rainy days they are perfect.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Those links don't work for me...

I don't necessarily want to go down the route of SPD pedals for a commuter bike. Although I will listen to arguments for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Just wear the neoprene covers over normal runners. They get a bit wrecked on the soles after a while but they aren't that expensive so it's grand. Something like these will do the job:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-neoprene-bootie/

You'll only be wearing them on the days its raining so they won't get too worn. Just chuck them in the backpack/saddlebag the rest of the time.

They'll keep your feed dry as a bone, but with neoprene you can tend to overheat in warmer weather. I prefer dry feet though personally so i'll suffer the sweatiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Links should work now.

SPD shoes for the reasons you suggested yourself tbh, more suitable to cycling & stiffer. But I guess you could just look for any outdoor shoes or something like below.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/spiuk-compass-mtb-shoes/

I'd ask why don't you want SPD pedals on a commuter bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I don't necessarily want to go down the route of SPD pedals for a commuter bike. Although I will listen to arguments for it.

What are you wearing on the auld legs. Theres only so much you can do with that much rain. One problem with waterproof shoes or boots is they will fill up with water, rather than letting it drain out, which is what happened to mine and were of course still soaking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Go half-way and get 1-side flat, 1-side SPD.

The_Sub wrote: »
    Links should work now.

SPD shoes for the reasons you suggested yourself tbh, more suitable to cycling & stiffer. But I guess you could just look for any outdoor shoes or something like below.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/spiuk-compass-mtb-shoes/

Water resistant = not water resistant Runners are just too low, water will just go in over the top, even if you have a waterproof pants on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I use runners on a fixed gear for commuting, mainly because I like the option of going to the supermarket on the way home. My feet also got wet this week, although I don't have mudguards which was the main factor with that.

Have you considered a pair over winter overshoes ? One size up fits over a pair of runners. Rapha are the best ones Ive owned. I think prenda do good ones too, and theres are others I forget the name of that are supposed to be good. If I remember I'll let you know !

ror_74 wrote: »
    I use runners on a fixed gear for commuting, mainly because I like the option of going to the supermarket on the way home. My feet also got wet this week, although I don't have mudguards which was the main factor with that.

Have you considered a pair over winter overshoes ? One size up fits over a pair of runners. Rapha are the best ones Ive owned. I think prenda do good ones too, and theres are others I forget the name of that are supposed to be good. If I remember I'll let you know !

i would suggest your feet would have gotten wet this week even with mudguards :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

i would suggest your feet would have gotten wet this week even with mudguards :D

Yep :)

But they might have been tolerably wet with overshoes and mudguards, rather than soaked. Problem with runners is they take so long to dry. So getting wet on the way to work means they will probably be wet on way home. I'd rather head for the wimp list then put on wet clothes and head into a cold stormy night :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The_Sub wrote: »

I don't have an answer to this to be honest. Its just a niggle in my head that it would be a pain in stop start commuting through the city centre. Or is my perception wrong all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I don't have an answer to this to be honest. Its just a niggle in my head that it would be a pain in stop start commuting through the city centre. Or is my perception wrong all together?

I am using a pair of Lidl spd shoes and Lidl/Aldi shoe covers. Before that it was their shoe covers and a 7 euro pair of plimsoles from pennys. (I never got wet feet in them and I went through some torrential showers.)

Currently I have these Shimano T780 and I find them very good. Large form factor.

I've only been clipped in two or three weeks and wouldn't go back.

For me, the trick seems to be to only unclip the foot you rest on, never the other one unless you need to and even then only when I am stopped.

When I come to "scary" places like the walkinstown roundabout I have my resting/left foot on the flat. When I take off I tend to use the middle of my left foot so I don't clip in as it can be hit and miss which side of the pedal is up. But you get the hang of flipping the pedal to which ever side you need.

The only times I have nearly come a cropper is when I was unclipping both feet while moving or that once were I decided to do my right first. Luckily that wall was on my left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm a relatively recent convert to clipless. They're fine in traffic, you move your foot left or right to come off the pedal, which becomes second nature.

I have a pair of the Shimano double sided pedals, so I don't have to clip in in start-stop traffic, which is great.

TkMaxx also have a bunch of cycling shoes and boots at the moment for around the 50 quid mark that would be well worth looking at to give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Managed to fit myself into the Lidl teen boys snow/winter boots for €10. I was actually going to get wellies after the last week of rain before I serendipitiously found these. I've got small feet, but there's nothing stopping you from going to an outdoor shop, or looking in tkmaxx for normal sizes. They tend to be rubberised to some extent, which is probably better than fabric with a goretex lining as the fabric eventually wets out.

92063wk0614_01_f.jpg

These ones are fully rubber to the ankle, and tough thick nylon above there to the mid calf, with a fuzzy lining on the inside and a warm aluminium foil and felt insole. Went through some pretty deep puddles without front mudguards in these this week and stayed toasty dry. I'm considering spraying the fabric section with some wd40 or some silicone spray to increase the water resistance a bit. Almost too warm if you attempt to hammer your commutes, but sure you'd end up sweaty regardless if you hammered. Probably not so good in the summer as they'd be too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Actually, they're available in adult sizes too, for €15, I just didn't see them.

Advertisement