Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing

Options
  • 06-02-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Apologioes if this is the wrong thread. I've found some old posts going back to 1997 about soundproofing but I'm looking to see if anyone has had work done recently. I'm looking for someone professional, not just put up a few extra bits of plasterboard. The best solution appears to be the ISO-T strip (?) but has anyone any experience withi this? Cost etc.

Many thanks - any info appreciated.

For background - I'm in a semi-detached house - plasterboard is dabbed onto the brickwork (which is the problem as the air gaps amplify the sound likfe a drum). As the air gaps are sporadic, I can't pump any insulation into them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Better question is what kind of noise is it your hoping to soundproof against.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Con41

I'm getting both impact and airbourne sounds. The airbourne sounds are the main issue - I can hear converstations my neighbours are having next door. I've doen a lot of research on this - the problem appears to be that as the plasterboard is jsut dabbed onto the parti wall (hollow brick, not sure if that's the correct term) they are acting like a drum and amplifying the sound. If you take it that this is the case on both sides the amplification can be very loud.

I'd just rip the plasterboard off, put studs on the wall, drop polyurethane sheets in between them and then put 1/2" plasterboard back up. Sound proofing materials in general are quite expensive and are not "that" effective for the cost.

Thanks for the input Cuddlesworth - but does that actually work? Have you done it or know anyone who has?

Con41 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input Cuddlesworth - but does that actually work? Have you done it or know anyone who has?

I've done it before in houses and it has had a large effect on the noise level. Impact is a another story though.

• Advertisement

Do you know anyone who has used Cunas or other soundproofing companies - I think studding the wall will help but I know some "professional" companies do a little more.

Con41 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who has used Cunas or other soundproofing companies - I think studding the wall will help but I know some "professional" companies do a little more.

Professional company's will rip the room apart, including floor and ceiling. They will seal every possible gap with acoustic expanding foam, build a stud wall thats minimally attached to the floor/ceiling joists with some woodwork and isolation clips, drop in some acoustic insulation, then 1 or two layers of acoustic plasterboard with a soft material in-between them. Then build a floating floor on the existing joists. At that stage you could commit a murder and its unlikely your neighbour would notice.

The difference between removing the noise and reducing the noise is a tough question for most of them, since the number of possible complaints afterwards would be quite high for a minimal job. I would be surprised if most didn't push the whole hog with you.

Advertisement