Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance cap question

Options
  • 06-02-2014 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,I am currently looking for a one bed apt.for one person,the rent cap is E475,this is proving to be increasingly difficult to find somewhere within the threshold.
    My question is,can a single person look for a two bed place on their own which fits within the rent cap?
    I think a 2 bed is capped at E550.
    Any feedback at all would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Of course! But if you're looking for a one bed place and can't find anything for €475, why would there be a two bed for €475?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

Of course! But if you're looking for a one bed place and can't find anything for €475, why would there be a two bed for €475?

A two bed is capped at E550 I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

No, rent allowance is based on the people applying, not the rental accomodation.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html
    The allowance for a couple with no children is €540 in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They generally won't give you rent supplement to rent a 2 bed if its a single person ,they Will tell you to find a place that suits your needs ,
    And beaware The limits posted for areas are based off the maximum allowed but they won't give the maximum allowance unless there's certain circumstances / criteria are met

Appreciate the advice,thanks.Think that's my question answered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

THERES ra limits, single person,
    sharing , non sharing ,
    ie 1 person with no children.
    ITS up to you to find a flat ,or apartment thats not over the limit .

riclad wrote: »
    THERES ra limits, single person,
    sharing , non sharing ,
    ie 1 person with no children.
    ITS up to you to find a flat ,or apartment thats not over the limit .

Thanks fot stating the obvious there chief ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Actually , its not obvious, at all.
    THE ra rules are complicated ,
    eg in theory a single person could get ra for a 2 bed
    house,
    if you could find one under the rent allowance limit.
    i know some one single person on ra ,renting a house in the country.
    THERE was a time i did not know ra even existed.
    eg a single parent must rent at least a 2bed unit to get ra .

Advertisement