Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a good distance for a beginner?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Got back into swimming lately - I think it's better for the body than running with less injuries too.

I can swim from my childhood days and I could do about 500m front crawl with relative comfort (stopping for 15 seconds or so on two or three occassions) - this takes me about 14 minutes.

Realistically, should I be pushing myself harder than that? I've been swimming in the mornings from the start of January (before work) and don't want to exceed 20 minutes of pool time.

Does anyone think I should just get more comfortable with the 500m and then go to 600, 650 etc. - does it work like running in terms of stammina building?

Any other useful tips would be grately appreciated! :)))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tommba

Heya. As per your second line, swimming is infact alot less impact on your body than running (or cycling) is. As such, whereas in running and cycling you should limit the amount of "hard" work sessions (ftp, threshold or whatever) because of the possibility of overtraining, in swimming you can pretty much do threshold sessions every day.

You should look up "10x100" sessions on google, it's basically one of the best threshold sets you can do for swimming. It's hard, and it might take you a few weeks to work up to a full session, but if you only have 20 minutes pool time, then it is going to be your best use of time, if you can handle the strenuous workout.

As far as being a beginner returning to swimming, you should beware of some overuse injuries, particularly of the shoulder, if you're putting in alot of laps, but just back off and go easier for a few days if it happens is the best thing to do.

10x100 sessions are tough particularly for beginners, but also you should be concentrating 100% on your technique on every stroke. Watch youtube videos, get instruction, whatever works. Some people have the ability to self diagnose their technique which is a great skill to have, but alot don't, and you might need an instructor, or alternatively a waterproof camera to video yourself. It all depends on how fast you want to get, but 20 minutes a day doing 10x100, you can keep improving in speed, alot, before you start to need more pool time.

Advertisement