Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics: Studying only micro and definitions?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi I only took up economics this but have already covered the micro section and a handful of definitions. However, i am hesitant to start studying macro. Everyone I talked to l about this have stressed it's a bad idea to neglect macro unless you're aiming for D. Though I have looked over a couple of the exam papers it seems at least 5 micro questions come up in the sq (which you only need to answer 6) while generally 4 micro long questions come up in the lq (which you need to answer 4.) Am I being realistic in believing you could aim for a B maybe by knowing micro inside and out along with definitions while ignoring macro altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

showsaf wrote: »
    Hi I only took up economics this but have already covered the micro section and a handful of definitions. However, i am hesitant to start studying macro. Everyone I talked to l about this have stressed it's a bad idea to neglect macro unless you're aiming for D. Though I have looked over a couple of the exam papers it seems at least 5 micro questions come up in the sq (which you only need to answer 6) while generally 4 micro long questions come up in the lq (which you need to answer 4.) Am I being realistic in believing you could aim for a B maybe by knowing micro inside and out along with definitions while ignoring macro altogether?

Rookie mistake. If you look at some years there are only 3 micro and 5 macro Q's. Add to this that the questions that they are asking on Micro are getting a lot haider than they used to be. Also, the micro questions are the most commonly answered so you literallyy have to have your answers near word-perfect to the Marking scheme to have full marks. Make sure you know every part of the Micro inside out and not just things that have come up before, literally every aspect of every chapter.

In regards to Macro you should have a look at National Income and International Trade as other Long Q's to do. They tend to be mostly theory orientated with a few common sense topical questions added in.

Also, you should not leave out Economic thought i.e Keynes,Adam Smith,Ricardo etc. If you look at the 2013 paper they had a dirty ten mark question added in to Q3 in the long questions.

Also make sure you know every definition on the course and have a general knowledge of the rest of the course.

In general the Economics course is exremely out-dated and harder than you may think to do well in. Make sure you have everything exremely well prepade by June

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Way too risky imo. With economics just learn as much as you can, it's hard to leave out stuff as the questions aren't predictable except that demand, supply or elasticity always comes up. Try learn some macro particularly the basics ie money and banking, inflation, govt and national income and possibly trade. History of economic thought isn't essential but you could get a nasty 10mark q after an otherwise nice question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

There are several papers in recent years where there are not 4 Micro questions. As tempting as it might be, I'm afraid there is no subject where you only have to do half of the syllabus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

The more of the course you know the better

Advertisement