Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime set in Ireland

Options
  • 05-02-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I found this short anime set in Ireland. It's called Kigeki or 'Comedy'. I enjoyed it, even though they appear to have taken some liberties with the technology available during the War of Independence. Enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Wow, that is really cool! Never knew it existed before. It seems to be the 3rd in a series of 'shorts' created by Studio 4°C but each short appears to be independent of the other: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1072/Sweat_Punch

Little bit of trivia: the voice actor who plays the Black Swordsman in this short, Hikaru Midorikawa, also plays Lancer aka Diarmuid Ui Duibhne in Fate/Zero. Wonder if he's got a thing for Ireland haha!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fractale is a big one

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭IHeartYuki

Fractale is a big one

I wasn't a big fan of Fractale, even though I grew up in Galway. I really liked the Salley Gardens ED though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

Some of Gundam ZZ are set in Dublin. It doesn't end well for the city.

An episode or two of the original series also features Belfast.... Miharu Ratokie is from Belfast. She boards White Base. It doesn't end well for her.

Gundam 00 makes reference to the Real IRA, set several hundred years in the future. And Lokon Stratos is from Northern Ireland. Also in the first ED, a shot that was obviously copied from the Bloody Sunday film, filmed in Ballymun. The flats are unmistakeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Comedy is class and has such beautiful animation. I recall seeing it a long time ago in my local anime club. Thanks for sharing it here as I was looking for it and was thinking about it.

I think in the anime Full Metal Panic the ship is named "tuatha de danann". There are a few Irish references in anime, this topic would make an interesting panel for a convention.

• Advertisement

There are a few Irish references in anime, this topic would make an interesting panel for a convention.

I'm glad I could help with the post. I was just bumming around an anime forum I frequent one evening and someone mentioned it to me in a PM. I'm glad I was able to find it.

I created a thread in that other forum to discuss Ireland in anime and the most interesting post I got was from a friend in Ireland. Please bear in mind that the below is my friend's post, not mine:

"The biggest possible influence on anime is the theory that Code Geass is based on Easter 1916 Rising and subsequent event and people around and after that. For those who study Irish history the resemblances are striking.

Eg Japan= Ireland - A colony of Britain/Britainana suppressed by the empire and where native citizens are degraded members of their own society and where tyranny rebellion takes place.

Lelouch= Michael Collins- A Charmaistic ,intelligent leader of the rebellion who uses guerrilla tactics and brilliant tactical naues to attack the British Forces. Manages to conceal his identity from both IRB/ Sein Fein/OBK and the British to evade capture.

IRB/Irish Volunteers/Sein Fein(SF more political group back in the day)= Order of Black Knights- A group of rebels who fight against the British empire. Most members are Irish/Japanese but do contain Brits who ally themshelves to the suppressed citzens. There aim is to form a free independent nation where acceptance and tolerance is normal and where people can refuge.

Kallen = Contance Markievicz – A woman of half British decendent who fights along the rebel group for an independent nation.

There are comparsions between Leaders of OBK and leaders of the Rising De Valera, Pearse, Donnelly and the others

De Valera and Ohgi(The who was the orginal leader of OBK) is an example

Then theres various incidents which a very similar to the Rising (The GPO and Hotel capture is one that sticks out in my mind). Considering Geass ability is based on Irish Mythology I wouldnt be surpised that the initial Idea of Code Geass was based on Irish history. But this theory is highly unlikey and unproven ."

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dantes_Legacy

IHeartYuki wrote: »
    I wasn't a big fan of Fractale, even though I grew up in Galway. I really liked the Salley Gardens ED though.
    Yeah, the ED was great. Kept waiting for the anime to get better though. I did like the drawing style.

What about Durarara!!! (I think that's how you spell it).
    Not set in Ireland, but one of the main characters is a Banshee or something that came to Japan on a boat.
    Makes no sense, but is fun to watch nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Yeah, the ED was great. Kept waiting for the anime to get better though. I did like the drawing style.

What about Durarara!!! (I think that's how you spell it). Not set in Ireland, but one of the main characters is a Banshee or something that came to Japan on a boat. Makes no sense, but is fun to watch nonetheless.

Just in case not everyone has seen it, but they should have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dantes_Legacy

SgtBob wrote: »
    Just in case not everyone has seen it, but they should have. :)

Aha! Now I remember. That make's more sense. Quite an interesting/modern take on that particular mythological creature. You know... with the motorcycle and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Aha! Now I remember. That make's more sense. Quite an interesting/modern take on that particular mythological creature. You know... with the motorcycle and all.

I loved the way the designed the sounds for it.

• Advertisement

Anyone else notice that the air to the song in this vid is to the tune of Danny Boy?

Advertisement