Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratched Panel door

Options
  • 05-02-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, first time poster here.
    I'm in a spot of bother. A scratch has appeared on an internal door of a house I rent. I don't know how it happened but someone obviously scratched something against it, and now its damaged.
    I've attached a few photos, so hopefully someone can help me! From surfing the internet I think I've identified the door as a "veneer panel" door, but I can't be sure...
    Does anyone know can this scratch be fixed, and if so how?
    If not, does anyone know how much a replacement door will cost?

All help much appreciated, I hope this is repairable! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

It looks deep but you could try this get a iron and a damp cotton cloth put the damp over scratch press the iron on it keep checking it and keep the cloth damp. What it dose is lift the grain of the wood i have taking 3mm deep scratches out of solid floors this way if the scratch starts to come out you might need to go over it a few times then sand with 240 grit then 320 grit a few inches either side of the scratch you might have to get wood dye and with a small artist brush color in the mark then varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hi all, first time poster here.
    I'm in a spot of bother. A scratch has appeared on an internal door of a house I rent. I don't know how it happened but someone obviously scratched something against it, and now its damaged.
    I've attached a few photos, so hopefully someone can help me! From surfing the internet I think I've identified the door as a "veneer panel" door, but I can't be sure...
    Does anyone know can this scratch be fixed, and if so how?
    If not, does anyone know how much a replacement door will cost?

All help much appreciated, I hope this is repairable! :o

;) Good advice. Under that mahogany veneer you will find an 'eggbox' cardboard core. Steam the scratch to raise the fibres, lightly sand with 250 grit and ( when dry ) spray with a clear lacquer ( not polyurethane ) You can get small cans in automotive supply shops or go to the carpentry store in Naas who stock the excellent range of Chestnut sprays. The scratch will disappear with the lacquer.I wouldn't start painting on any dyes personally as they are impossible to match correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatabother

Thanks guys, I'll try that over the weekend!
    Can you tell me how long I should hold the iron for each time? Like 15 second stints and check, and repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ya just dont let the iron burn the door keep the cloth wet you should be ok

Thanks, you're a gent.
    I'll let you know how it goes

• Advertisement

Just did the ironing part, looks great! You wouldn't notice it unless you were lookin for it! Might leave it be rather thank risk ruining it with sand paper. Thanks a lot guys

Hmmm seems that the initial dampness has tried up and it's not quite as good as I'd first thought. Will the lacquer give it that dark, blended in look that it had immediately after the ironing?

Hmmm seems that the initial dampness has tried up and it's not quite as good as I'd first thought. Will the lacquer give it that dark, blended in look that it had immediately after the ironing?

;) In a word, yes. Some of the veneer fibres will be raised from the steaming so its worth doing a little light sanding with 250 grit.
    Any slight sanding marks and the original scratch should almost dissappear under the lacquer.You might have to give it 3-4 light coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

When sanding don't do scrubbing motions, up & down in the direction of the grain. Use a sanding cork or a block of wood to hold the paper, rubbing hard with your fingers on the paper is not the best way.

Will this do the job for me?
    Just spray it on after a light sanding and give a second coat if needs be?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_210069_langId_-1_categoryId_212593

• Advertisement

Will this do the job for me?
    Just spray it on after a light sanding and give a second coat if needs be?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_210069_langId_-1_categoryId_212593

Yes, that looks fine although I've often bought them in smaller cans. As with all spray cans give it a good shake before using. The trick is to give it a few light coats - the lacquer will dry in 10 mins so don't be tempted to give it a heavy coat as it will run.

Advertisement