Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non-consistent modding

Options
  • 05-02-2014 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Hi

i was a very regular poster in this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88776417
    thread.
    The thread was very long and highly emotionally charged. Especially towards the last hundred pages it was frequently very nasty. There are frequent instances of slander/defamation of character.
    posters were free to name 2 members of the public and accuse them of murder abduction and lying.
    There are several instances of name-calling and abuse especially from the posters chopper6 and fuzzy clam.
    Its afterhours though, so, light modding i would have thought.
    However more or less the only post/posts to attract the attention of a mod were mine.
    In particular my post 4921 prompted an immediate admonishment from the mod humanji.
    humanji accused me of making veiled threats. i would contend that i did not.
    i pointed out , merely, that instances of on-line slander and defamation are slowly but surely being investigated and properly dealt with, and the clock indeed is ticking. i was not threatening anybody.
    Im a big girl. i can take it.
    However the poster fuzzy clam abused me and called me names in a series of posts in particular 4987. there was no sanction ever on him/her.I contacted humanji today regarding post 4921 and he/she still maintains that the threat is clear.
    i look forward to reading your reply.
    Excellent forum.
    mrsbyrne

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP as this isn't DRP related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not sure if moving the thread changed the time stamp on the OP, but you contacted me last Thursday, not today. And you posted "Ironically for some of these posters the clock is indeed ticking" which in the context of your post was a very like a veiled legal threat. This was pointed out to you and you were given a warning to stop it. Given the charged nature of the thread, a fair amount of leeway was given when tempers flared and almost all users, including yourself, were overly antagonistic towards each other. Those that went too far over the line were sanctioned. Your threats that something would happen to other users was over the line, and to be honest, you were dealt with leniently for it.

Humanji once again nowhere did I threaten anyone. I expressed the opinion that the clock was ticking on online posters defaming named individuals.
    That happened (the defaming) repeatedly on that thread without interference from mods.
    I was called "stupid" and "sick" by fuzzy clam and I was accused of trolling and of having another rdg. Once again no interference by mods.
    As I said before, I'm a big girl. I can take it.
    But I'm not happy about being accused then of "veiled threats" when no threat was made.
    Sorry, I don't understand what is going on here. I really wanted to bring this to the attention of Admin. Is that not possible.
    I'm not happy to accept your position on this. I'd like if someone else could look at if if possible. Thank you.

Now please don't play innocent. Your posts on that thread are there for everyone to read. You were as bad as most of the others on that thread, and as I said everyone was given more than enough leeway due to the charged nature of the thread.

You made several posts about other users being in danger of being prosecuted for slander, and then made the above quoted post. You were warned to knock it off. That is all.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Now please don't play innocent. Your posts on that thread are there for everyone to read. You were as bad as most of the others on that thread, and as I said everyone was given more than enough leeway due to the charged nature of the thread.

You made several posts about other users being in danger of being prosecuted for slander, and then made the above quoted post. You were warned to knock it off. That is all.

If you can show me a post of mine were I indulged in name calling or abuse I would dearly love to see it.
    I have pointed out posts were I was abused and called names .
    It seems to me that as far as you are concerned it was perfectly in order to slander and defame , name call and abuse on that thread, but pointing out that defaming and slandering online would soon become punishable in the courts warranted a slap on the wrist.
    Once again, i would be obliged if you or somebody could let me know if it is possible to have Admin look at my issue. Or should I contact a mod not connected to the thread?
    I would really like an independent person to look at my query.
    If that's not possible that's fine but we seem to have reached an impass here and at this point I'm not prepared to just let it lie.
    Thank you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88774892&postcount=5131

But it should be beside the point as the reason you were warned was because of what came across as a possible a legal threat. This site does not abide by them, so you were warned to not continue posting like that. There would be inconsistencies in modding if someone else did the same and wasn't warned.

I'd be more than happy if someone else could throw an eye over this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I'm having a read of that now.

ok, I've read through that thread.....pass the mindbleach please!

I can see where both sides of this disagreement are coming from.

first off: Humanji, I agree with mrsbyrne that she wasn't making a legal threat. I can see how, in the tone of the overall thread it may have come across like that but if you just take mrsbyrne's posts alone, its more of a nah-nah-ne-nah-nah post than an actual threat.

mrsbyrne: you weren't reprimanded in the form of an infraction or ban. there is no permanent record. A mod read a tone into a post and contacted you privately to let you know that it wasn't acceptable. I get it, you feel like you got a slap on the wrist undeservedly. Now look at it from my point of view , I would have banned you and half the other posters in that thread for the personal attacks and snipes aimed at each other. Forget who started it and who said what, the point is no-one forced any of you to sink to that level and its not acceptable behaviour here or in society in general. A keyboard and monitor buffer doesn't change that - if anything it makes it worse because at least in person there's heat of the moment, in posts you have to read, hit reply, type and hit submit. Humanji took the time to try to help you and you took it as a threat. in my opinion, you're too wound up over that thread and its way to personal to you which is throwing the issue out of proportion. If you had been banned or red carded then I could understand this digging in of heels and the tone beneath the politeness of your posts here. But its not, its someone that made a mistake and believes they did the right thing. Sometimes a third party is required to look at things from a fresh , uninvolved perspective.

so, here's the decision on this one:

humanji: there was no legal threat so please try to forget about the posts

mrsbyrne: no more interaction with wonderfullife please. put him on your ignore list. One of the main rules of Boards.ie is "attack the post not the poster" . you and he repeatedly ignored that. Half your posts in that thread have nothing to do with the topic but are instead jibes and insults and counter insults with that one particular user. No more of that please. this is a discussion site, discuss , argue, debate but we draw the line at fighting and insulting - you don't gain any respect or credibility when it gets to that level of discourse. I will be PMing wonderfullife and telling him to do the same with you. Either one of you takes a swipe at the other again and I'll personally ban you from whatever forum it happens in and then we can deal with it in the DRP.

Thanks for your thoughtfull consideration. It was indeed a long tedious thread.
    Im happy to take your advice.
    Just one thing, i never mentioned wonderfullife anywhere in this thread, fuzzyclam and chopper6, but not wonderfullife. I dont bear anyone any ill-will, its only an internet chatroom afterall. Step away from the keyboard and all that.
    Plus huamnji didnt contact me in private, but on the thread.
    I appreciate your help.
    mrsbyrne.

• Advertisement

You're welcome.

I know you didn't mention wonderfullife here but your interaction with him on that thread made it obvious that his posts were like a red rag to a bull for you.

I had assumed that humanji had contacted you by PM after posting that warning post in the thread. That's a very mild warning post to be honest and something that could easily have just been let go. True, in restrospect humanji did mis-read your intention in that post but I honestly do not see any evidence of modding inconsistencies.

enjoy the rest of the site :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement