Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell the landlord to buy a clothes dryer?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

Apparently, a landlord must provide a way for tenants to dry clothes.

We're in a two bed apartment with a tiny balcony and no dryer.

Should we have a dryer in a house like this?

Would it be reasonable to ask for one?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Giak wrote: »
    Would it be reasonable to ask for one?

No harm asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It's a requirement, but a rather daft one. You'll likely get a crap one put somewhere in the way. I'm going to be putting a combi in when I rent my gaffe out but those things are next to useless. I'll leave the nice heated clothes horse I've been using for years directly under the vent in my hall and hope they exercise some common sense.

You'd save yourself a heap of money by sticking a clothes horse in the bathroom and leaving the fan on if you're worried about mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It depends. If the management block rules state you can't dry clothes on the balcony then yes he does have to provide it. That is assuming there is no shared outside drying location. Some places have these but mostly old places.

If you are allowed dry clothes on the balcony or some other space you have what is required by law and no dryer is required.

If space or price is a premium most LL will get you a combi washer/dryer which doesn't work very well as stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It depends. If the management block rules state you can't dry clothes on the balcony then yes he does have to provide it. That is assuming there is no shared outside drying location. Some places have these but mostly old places.

If you are allowed dry clothes on the balcony or some other space you have what is required by law and no dryer is required.

If space or price is a premium most LL will get you a combi washer/dryer which doesn't work very well as stated.
    Not entirely correct: the external space must have a clothes line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

fash wrote: »
    Not entirely correct: the external space must have a clothes line.

Thats wrong. The law doesnt specifically state you must have a clothes line just that you have to have the ability to dry clothes so an outdoor space and a clothes horse meets the legal requorements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

If you ask you'll probably just get a washer/dryer, which is basically useless. I'm in a 2 bed apt, we have no dryer, I just use a clothes horse beside the radiator, works just fine. I never use the dryer function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If, as Ray Palmer says, you haven't got somewhere outside that you can legally (according to house / management company rules) and you want a dryer, you should put it in writing (keep a dated copy) and request that the landlord fulfill his obligations under the Housing Standards for rented accommodation 2008 (as amended 2009) section 8 (2) (h).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If it were me, I would ask for a RUby Dry Dehumidifier. Dehumidifies at cold temp, unlike refrigerant dehumidifiers which are useless in this climate. Basically, if you have a spare room or bedroom, put the wet clothes in there with the dehumidifer. Yes, people in UK are doing it very successfully.

The plus side is it will extract all of the damp from the apartment also. And make it much easier to heat. All which should be a plus for a landlord.

But most of them aren't too into longterm thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

An Ri rua wrote: »
    If it were me, I would ask for a RUby Dry Dehumidifier. Dehumidifies at cold temp, unlike refrigerant dehumidifiers which are useless in this climate. Basically, if you have a spare room or bedroom, put the wet clothes in there with the dehumidifer. Yes, people in UK are doing it very successfully.

The plus side is it will extract all of the damp from the apartment also. And make it much easier to heat. All which should be a plus for a landlord.

But most of them aren't too into longterm thinking.

On my shopping list!

Advertisement