Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Facebook ad results any good?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I ran a Facebook advertising test recently (for a B2C website aimed at UK/Irish consumers only) and wanted to see what other experienced Facebook advertisers thought of the results.

My results over a four week period:
    Campaign reach: 51,125
    Frequency: 9.9
    Clicks: 226
    Click thru rate: 0.045%
    Cost per click: €0.27
    Cost of campaign: €61.01

Any insight into whether these results are comparatively good or not?

Obviously, I know whether these 226 clicks went on to buy something or not but interested if my results from the Facebook ad piece only was performing well or not.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

What type of advertising campaign did you do? E.g. boost post/offer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

A standard domain Facebook ad, directing clickers directly to our website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The deciding metric is missing, ie sales/margin generated. 20 clicks/20 orders, 20K sales, 10K margin, 20 quid cost. Now that would be good.

Well, I agree that a key metric for the business is what % of these clickers buy and at what margin - and I know what this is - but I don't need it to gauge the effectiveness of the features of the Facebook ad results.

e.g. is a 9.9 "frequency to see" rate too high?
    e.g. how bad/good is a 0.045% click thru rate?
    e.g. is campaign reach for 51K mean I am not targeting enough?

Those are the types of questions I hoped someone might throw some light on

Thanks

Afraid I could not disagree more with "but I don't need it to gauge the effectiveness of the features of the Facebook ad results"

If you are a mathematician, you only care about numbers but if your a businessperson/marketing guy, you care about results and quality return on spend.

You can generate huge click volumes with online advertising for any site by all sorts of tactics including popular but irelevant keywords and cleverly worded ads, as long as you have plenty to spend.... but other than lots of click throughs, it is generally just a waste of money.

When I spend my money on online advertising I want to know some vital pieces of information to evaluate the campaign.

How many click throughs

How many site pages visits for each ad click (Extremely important for brand/proomotional/brochureware type site, if you are not actually selling online) One page is a bounce and typically means it is expensive junk traffic!

How many converted to actual sales

What resulting sales/margin was generated

What did it cost.

All of the above is rubbish, if someone is paying you per click achieved!!

• Advertisement

Afraid I could not disagree more with "but I don't need it to gauge the effectiveness of the features of the Facebook ad results"

If you are a mathematician, you only care about numbers but if your a businessperson/marketing guy, you care about results and quality return on spend.

You can generate huge click volumes with online advertising for any site by all sorts of tactics including popular but irelevant keywords and cleverly worded ads, as long as you have plenty to spend.... but other than lots of click throughs, it is generally just a waste of money.

When I spend my money on online advertising I want to know some vital pieces of information to evaluate the campaign.

How many click throughs

How many site pages visits for each ad click (Extremely important for brand/proomotional/brochureware type site, if you are not actually selling online) One page is a bounce and typically means it is expensive junk traffic!

How many converted to actual sales

What resulting sales/margin was generated

What did it cost.

All of the above is rubbish, if someone is paying you per click achieved!!

Thanks Peter, of course you are right but I have not made myself clear - I know all that already, I am just not sharing it with you!! I use Google Analytics to track the conversion through the site (bounce rate. no of pages visited, number enrolled for email, number enrolled for trial, number who purchased, number of purchases etc - back to where they clicked from. So I know how Facebook-originated visitors perform on the site compared with Google Ads, direct traffic, social unpaid traffic etc.

What am I looking for is feedback on the Facebook metrics themselves as I outlined earlier.

Thanks

Fair enough. I will be fascinated to see if you get an answer that meets your approval. An advertising/ promotion comparator that utilises no qualitative metric to give a useful result, could be the next big thing!!

PS: I quite often look to pose questions myself that only seem make sense to me, can be quite frustrating but when I need to know, I need to know!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

bdo wrote: »
    I ran a Facebook advertising test recently (for a B2C website aimed at UK/Irish consumers only) and wanted to see what other experienced Facebook advertisers thought of the results.

My results over a four week period:
    Campaign reach: 51,125
    Frequency: 9.9
    Clicks: 226
    Click thru rate: 0.045%
    Cost per click: €0.27
    Cost of campaign: €61.01

Any insight into whether these results are comparatively good or not?

Obviously, I know whether these 226 clicks went on to buy something or not but interested if my results from the Facebook ad piece only was performing well or not.

Thanks

Compared to what? :)

It's a bit like saying I put an ad in the Irish Independent and got 100 calls in four weeks - is that good. It will depend on:

-Your industry / sector
    -The ad copy / messaging
    -Promotions? Sales? Calls to action?

etc.

Objectively I would say that your CTR and CPC look about average for Facebook ads. However, if you are in a sector which tends to grab lots of attention on Facebook (e.g. women's retail), then it might not be great. If you are in a popular sector and were ALSO running a promotion or advertising with quite engaging / enticing ad copy, then it might be even worse.

Or it could be quite good, say if it represented an uplift on previous campaigns you ran.

All depends, but it's not about comparing or benchmarking yourself against others or a perceived 'industry standard' (hint - there isn't one). Rather it's about benchmarking against your own data. What matters are your own trends and stats and how you are affecting them over time.

I've just seem some composite stats from my industry, showing average click through rates of .20% and cost per click of 0.33 cents compared with my 0.045% and 0.27 cents.

So that data would suggest my creative is really poor - and I am not bidding high enough for better quality traffic.

So I'll go again with Facebook, test lots more and and track against my own data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

I've just seem some composite stats from my industry, showing average click through rates of .20% and cost per click of 0.33 cents compared with my 0.045% and 0.27 cents.

So that data would suggest my creative is really poor - and I am not bidding high enough for better quality traffic.

So I'll go again with Facebook, test lots more and and track against my own data.

Sounds like a plan. Are you tracking social conversions through Google Analytics?

• Advertisement

Atomico wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. Are you tracking social conversions through Google Analytics?

Yes, I will separate out the organic Facebook traffic from the paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bizinchina

I think you might have to look at where you are send these clicks too. If your sending to a website it's going to be higher CPC as Facebook does link traffic leaving there platform.

You can build landing pages on Facebook but these work better with opt-in forms. I all goes down to the niche your in and the amount of leads you generated and where they went. Did the go to a landing page on your site did they buy some thing ?

Did you test your landing pages ? Did you use the power editor in Facebook to test ads and the copy images ect. ? These are the questions you have to ask.

If people have opted in to your lead page or sales funnel maybe it's was worth it if you just sent them to a sales page and nobody purchased any thing and left then you may have just wasted £61

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

Yes, I will separate out the organic Facebook traffic from the paid.

I know this post is a bit dated but I was just wondering how you separate out the organic facebook traffic from the paid through google analytics?

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

I know this post is a bit dated but I was just wondering how you separate out the organic facebook traffic from the paid through google analytics?

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    You need to look at the traffic sources.

For example to see what traffic is coming from Facebook, log in to your Google Analytics, then go to Acquisition > Overview > Social > Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

Zonua wrote: »
    You need to look at the traffic sources.

For example to see what traffic is coming from Facebook, log in to your Google Analytics, then go to Acquisition > Overview > Social > Facebook.

Thanks Zonua, I understand that but how can I distinguish which FB traffic is coming from the campaign being run and which FB traffic is coming organically from my website link on my FB page?

Sorry for the confusion.

Advertisement