Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love the music, hate the show?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

I can't be the only person who has a few shows like this. The Evita thread put this into my my head, Evita & Little Shop of Horrors both fall into that category for me. Whistle Down the Wind too..and probably a few more.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Les Mis... although that may be due to the fact that the only time I've seen it live was in the US. Les Mis with American accents just didn't work for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hate everything but the songs in 'My Fair Lady'.
    There, I've said it.

The whole premise of turning Eliza into something she's not, then planning to ditch her after the bet just doesn't sit right with me. The whole class divide etc just irritates me. I am no fan of Bernard Shaw and the original 'Pygmalion' so it's probably not a surprise that I don't like the actual storyline of this musical.

Eliza is such an irritating character too- all her whining and moaning and "I'm a good girl, I am." Shut up, Eliza!
    And 'Enry 'Iggins- what a pompus twat. "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face..." Wow, how romantic, you 'orrible old git.

But I love the music! From the film version with Marni Nixon's beautiful voice to the last stage production I seen in a few years ago in the Gaiety; I cannot get enough of the music.
    Alfred Dolittle is a lazy layabout, but I love 'With a Little Bit of Luck', if not the moral behind the song!
    'On the Street where you Live', 'Get me to the Church on Time', 'I could have Danced all Night'... I just think it has fabulous songs.

If I watch the film version I tend to skip a lot of the scenes between songs and just enjoy the music. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I love the music and the film but the stage show of My Fair Lady goes on and on and on, it's easily a three hour show. Won't be rushing to see it again!

Should have added Aida to my list, I love the music but the show is so weak. Almost glad when
    they die at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Needmockhelp

Bonnie and Clyde. The book is the problem, and 1 or 2 songs are not great either.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm just finishing a schools edition of Miss Saigon tonight. Jesus the show is a head wreck of time jumps not to mention the toned down version of events....They even edited out the infamous "good Jesus John, who is she?" line.

The music is fabulous, but staging is just a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

They edited out the 'Good Jesus John...' line but kept in all the stuff in a Vietnamese brothel? Heh, of all the shows I can't imagine Miss Saigon having a schools version.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hrududu wrote: »
    They edited out the 'Good Jesus John...' line but kept in all the stuff in a Vietnamese brothel? Heh, of all the shows I can't imagine Miss Saigon having a schools version.

They kept the brothel scenes but altered the script. To be honest I had issues with it, we had a 15 year old on a stripper pole. It was all kinds of wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Cats,

love the costumes,love the music,love the dancing but its essentially a series of unconnected little crap stories pushed together.Absolutely shocking as a show.It's awful!

Advertisement