Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used console advice please

Options
  • 04-02-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys

Old gamer here from the late 90's, used to have a playstation. Have a little time to game again and would like to call around to a buddys one night a week and have a car race. I used to also like Grand theft auto and I'd like to get into a strategy game.

I was thinking a second hand console would do me. Doesn't need to be the greatest as the the orig playstation was great so I'm sure whatever is around now will blow me away.

Anyway I viewed a few ads and I'm baffled, xbox or ps, fat or slim, 50 GB or 500 GB and prices from € 80 to €300.

Is there a couple of basic things I should look for or is there one console generally recognised as the best

Any advice appreciated. Any simple advice greatly appreciated

Johnny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Great idea for you is to go for a PS3 silk with at lest 250GB HD and get your self PSN+ for a year it should set you back about 200 euros

But PSN+ is like a games rental thing sony does and you get new games every month to download on it and you keep the games for as long as you pay for PSN+

At the moment you would get at lest 10 games include for free

And now with the PS4 out PS3 games are getting cheaper so there is a bargain to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Also it's free to play online with Ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'd second a PS3 also. Some great games came out for it in 2013 alone. If you have a soft spot for the PS1 it might be the way to go as you can get many of the old 90's classics on the PSN. Plus, it doubles as a great media player too, better than the PS4 in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JohnnyAngel

Thanks Guys

Especially for that PSN tip

Johnny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could also pick up an inexpensive Xbox 360, there's some great games out there for it and a vast back catalogue of inexpensive but great titles, from Halo to Gears of War, Forza 4, PGR4, a great online store of really good titles is also there, from classics like Geometry Wars 2 to Super Meat Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'd like to get into a strategy game.
    XCOM is the best strategy game on home consoles at the moment. It's on both XBOX and PS3 but it's free on PS+ (if by paying €50 for the year it can be considered free!).

Valkyria Chronicles is an excellent game also which should scratch your itch as far as strategy goes. Its a PS3 exclusive.

For RTS you could try RUSE which is a decent WW2 effort and there's always Command & Conquer 3 and Red alert 3 (C&C3 is exclusive to XBOX)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't buy a 360, if it's an older model you won't be able to go online without an adapter or if your console is close to a router. You will also have to pay a yearly fee to play online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RasTa wrote: »
    Don't buy a 360, if it's an older model you won't be able to go online without an adapter or if your console is close to a router. You will also have to pay a yearly fee to play online.

The Xbox 360 operates with an Ethernet cable, if you want to use wifi then you're talking about an adapter.
    The online service is paid for but excellent.
    It's not a massive sum and the online integration of multiplayer lobbies and friend lists is streets ahead of the PS3.
    The new generation may be ruled by the PS4 but the last gen was, online at least, owned by the 360 .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ps3 gets my vote too. In your case Op you will get the most benefit from ps+ service too, as you don't have any games and all games that will pop up will be new to you. Paying 50eu for a whole year of games is a great deal when you only use it now and then.

You said, that you would like to have some racing games to play with your buddy.

Gran turismo 5 is a great game to play split screen of both are petrolheads. Gt6. Not that much as you can use only cars that you unlock in carrier.
    Blur - great arcade racer.
    Twisted metal - cars with guns of them. The nest split screen multilayer experience I had so far on last gen consoles.

P.s. I don't know if it's worth it buying second hand. The prices are way out of proportion on old gen consoles and most of the time you will get better deal/bundle on amazon. A lot of people out of touch these days when pricing consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3 gets my vote as well. Free online, better selection of exclusives and PS Plus.

• Advertisement

Bit of luck and this could turn into a console war!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I think there's a reason you have to pay for Xbox live - it's quite a good service.

But, if you don't want to play online, then you don't need to get it.

The Forza Motorsport series is very good on Xbox 360. Easily rivals GT5 for physics, if not better.

And I will always maintain that the Xbox controller is much more comfortable to use..the 'triggers' on PS controllers were a joke.

Both excellent systems. Both will blow you away if the last thing you used was a PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i have a ps3 since launch and have no interest in online play, never had. Get a ps3 and the psn if you want handy additions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The Wii has a great backlog as well, and you could get one for below 50 euro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wii U!
    Wii U!
    Wii oh never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Banjo wrote: »
    Wii U!
    Wii U!
    Wii oh never mind.

hahaha..... yeah. :D

Wii U if you want a HD Nintendo console that pretty much only plays 1st party Nintendo games. They look sooooo good though.

Anyway more likely would be the PS3 route with PS+ membership. Huge back catalogue of games at this stage.

I'd only go with 360 if you intend on playing online a lot and youre into the likes of the Halo series. Thats how they got me last gen! Damn you Halo you took so many of my gaming hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i bought an xbox 360 before christmas for €120 with halo 4, been playing online since, thank you next gen for these cheap console :)

Great replies, thanks again guys. I'm swinging towards the ps3 and the the PSN, one more question - I got great broadband but my buddies in a bad area and the only thing that will work is a dongle and his data allowance is poor and it can be sluggish etc.

With PSN can I download a game to the PS3 with my good connection and go to his place and play it offline ?

Thx

Johnny

if you mean can you bring your console then yes you can.

Great replies, thanks again guys. I'm swinging towards the ps3 and the the PSN, one more question - I got great broadband but my buddies in a bad area and the only thing that will work is a dongle and his data allowance is poor and it can be sluggish etc.

With PSN can I download a game to the PS3 with my good connection and go to his place and play it offline ?

Thx

Johnny

You don't need Internet connection to play those ps+ games, so you can just drop it off at your buddies places and play.

• Advertisement

It just gets better ! thx

It just gets better ! thx

Indeed, was a surprise to me too. I moved house and had no Internet for few days. Discovered that those games did not needed Internet! Had good few fun days :)

Advertisement