Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert as foreign student

Options
  • 04-02-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    i'm German and I (try to) do my leaving cert in Ireland. I've been in 5th year and after 2 weeks I changed to 6th year.
    Now i have 2 problems: my poor english doesn't make it easier to study something and I have to study the 2 year course in 1 year (now half a year left).
    Can anybody help me please, what is really necessary to know in the different subjects?
    I don't need 600 points (thats impossible anyway, at least in half a year), but i have to satisfy the following:
    6 subjects in higher level
    C3 in Chemistry or Biology or Physics
    + C3 in Maths
    pass 4 other subjects in HL

My subjects: French, English, German, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography (all HL without english)

German: my mother tongue so hopefully no problem, but one question: there are oral dialogs to be learned off by heart, is it necessary to know them or is it just a help, if you don't want to talk free/ spontaneous?

English: OL, I would read the analysis of the poems und learn the summaries of the books, anything else that is important to know?

French: do i really have to know 100s of phrases? i don't need an A, i want to pass it and I don't want to waste my time.

Maths: doing old exam papers, anything else? are there any necessary formulae missing in the formulae book? what does phase 3 of project maths say? does it change any contents, in which phase we are, or what does it mean to me without not being able to use the exams of the last 2 years? and why can i not use them?

Physics: my emergency subject if i fail biology or chemistry to have 6 HL left, how would you study physics? i'm doing it off school, but did very well in it in germany.

Chemistry: which experiments are the most important ones? i would learn the definitions off by heart, the experiments, which calculations are the most important ones? equilibrium, heat of combustion, what else?

Biology: i've heard that unit three is not necessary, you can cover 80% without the biggest unit?
    i would study the experiments, the summaries in the end of each chapter and the diagrams, any tips?

Geography: help! no clue at all! would you study those essays? where can i get them and which essays (themes) and... really no idea! and the diagrams of the first unit for the first section? what are srps?

in short i want to know what and how you would study to pass 6HL subjects in 4 months und how to get a C (actually I would need a B) in higher maths? and whats the easiest subject to get a C (bio, ch, ph?)

Thank you do much for your help!
    i hope that you understand my english

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why did you change to 6th year? Madness.

Your level of English will badly affect all your papers, excluding German. I suggest you go back into 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cookie96

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
    There was no point in staying in 5th year, this would be just a waste of time.
    I can only stay in Ireland for one year (my parents wouldn't allow me to stay two years) and if I would have been staying in 5th year, I would reach nothing, I would have to study for all the exams, but I would never get anything for studying hard.
    No in 6th year I have the choice: If I get a C in Chemistry and Maths and pass 4 other subjects, I can go to university and study the course I want to study as soon as I go back to germany, if I don't do good enough, I go back to school in germany as I would if I would have stayed in 5th year.

I can only win! if i do good, i have an advantage, if i don't do good, i have no disadvantage and I don't need a good leaving cert for my prefered course, so I can try it, it doesn't matter!

Now, Do you have any ideas what and how you would study for my subjects to pass them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cookie96

Hi,

I passed my LC, I got 425.
    In my opinion, that's perfect, I'm so happy that I didn't go back to 5th year!!!

Yours,
    Cookie96

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cookie96 wrote: »
    Hi,

I passed my LC, I got 425.
    In my opinion, that's perfect, I'm so happy that I didn't go back to 5th year!!!

Yours,
    Cookie96
    Congrats, those are excellent results considering the time constraints etc.

Best of luck with whatever you do in college!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement