Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercountry adoption

Options
  • 04-02-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I'm new here.
    We are at the point of picking a country for intercountry adoption and would like to chat to someone who has already been in this position? Some tips and advice will be very welcome since I cannot find information apart from aai website? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hello, I'm new here.
    We are at the point of picking a country for intercountry adoption and would like to chat to someone who has already been in this position? Some tips and advice will be very welcome since I cannot find information apart from aai website? Thanks

http://www.iaaireland.org/

If you contact them they will help point you in touch with people..

I'm curious..
    Would your social worker not offer to connect you with people who have recently been through the process ?

We're quite a few years through the system but our SW was great at offering people to meet up with and talk things through..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 esperanza1978

I haven't even been asigned a SW yet, we are in the first stage of this process but wanting to make informative choices.. I have found information about the time it may take for an intercountry adoption but how about a domestic one? is it the same time frame? 5 years plus?

Five years sounds about right for inter country.
    No idea about domestic as the numbers are so low.

The IAA Are the ones to talk to for current relavent information on inter country adoption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

As far as I'm aware you have no choice, only Bulgaria is still open for adoptions to Ireland and the children available have special needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

The latest country information on the Adoption Authority of Ireland (AAI) website -
    http://www.aai.gov.ie/index.php/intercountry-adoption/hague-country-advisories.html

USA is an option too.

Philippines or Thailand might be possible depending on allocations (refer to the AAI), but with very long waiting times.

China non special needs has extremely long waiting times, special needs might be possible (refer to the AAI)

Vietnam is unclear for new applications.

India or Haiti might be possible in the future.

AAI contact details -
    http://www.aai.gov.ie/index.php/contact-us.html

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware you have no choice, only Bulgaria is still open for adoptions to Ireland and the children available have special needs.

You do indeed have a choice and indeed the choice and how you arrived at it is very central to parts of the assessment process.

Yes I know it is part of the process. I am saying that practically speaking, because of current agreements or lack thereof, Bulgaria is the only country currently accepting/receiving new referrals from Ireland.

roadsmart wrote: »
    ... Bulgaria is the only country currently accepting/receiving new referrals from Ireland.

I do think that it is possible to apply to other countries than Bulgaria.

It may well be, I really hope so for other's sake, but what I've said is the current position so far as I understand it. Then again, I'm only one poster, maybe someone with a better understanding will have a different opinion.

@roadsmart
    You may well be right. I was by no means trying to attack or offend you.

The AAI should be able to tell prospective adoptive parents which country or countries are currently available to apply.
    And provide up to date information on their website.

Unfortunately the landscape changes very quickly in the adoption world, so applicants might have to change the country during the application process.

There will hopefully be some more positive news in 2014 in relation to possible countries.

• Advertisement

lil5 wrote: »
    @roadsmart
    You may well be right. I was by no means trying to attack or offend you.

I know, no offence was taken.

Advertisement