Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warped Laminate Flooring

Options
  • 04-02-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey folks.

I discovered last night that my washing machine was leaking through a worn seal in the door.

I spent a good hour or two mopping up and removing any water I could from on and under the laminate flooring, and I left heaters on overnight but unfortunately when I woke up this morning I found that some areas of floor had warped and formed bubbles.

I live in a rented apartment. Am I libel for replacing the floor? I assume I should inform the landlord anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

certainly inform the landlord immediately. Explain exactly what you have said here. leak from washing machine you mopped up immediately and left heaters on to dry out but floor has warped.

this is not your fault and you are not liable for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're not liable assuming you acted immediately and you inform landlord without delay. To be honest putting a washing machine on anything other than a tiled floor is rather foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Just clarifying you said "my" washing machine, I assume you actually mean your LL washing machine? If the latter it is completely his responsibility but the other it is yours.

Inform him either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Just clarifying you said "my" washing machine, I assume you actually mean your LL washing machine? If the latter it is completely his responsibility but the other it is yours.

Inform him either way.

I see what your getting at but thats perhaps questionable anyway. The reason I say that is from the following logic.

Lets assume a leak caused in the pipework of a rented house caused water damage to a tenants TV its widely accepted that its not the LL's fault and it would be up to the tenant to claim for any damage on their contents insurance.

Now with that in mind you would have to say the same has to be true in a reversal of situation which is what the OP is describing.

You cant have your cake and eat it. In both scenarios it would be true that a fault caused outside the control of the primary party has caused an issue for the seconday party. So you cant have one rule for one and another for another.

Now of course Im not saying legally that woudl stand up Im just saying if you follow conventional logic theres certainly at least reason to question where fault would lie.

Either wya I think its a moot point Id be 99% sure the OP was referring to a LL supplied washing machine.

Advertisement