Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach fishing in Doonbeg

Options
  • 04-02-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in Doonbeg for a couple of days next week, staying right beside the beach.

I predominantley fish for trout and salmon but I'm going to bring some gear with me next week. I've a nice 12.5 foot Diawa spinning rod which I'm going to try and use from the beach. Apart from fishing for macks off the rocks in Galway, I've very little sea angling experience.

At this time of year, at that location, have I a chance of catching anything? Would there be the odd pollock knocking around?

I have some German Sprats, Tobys and Condoms in the bag - would these be any good? What's a good spinning lure for the beach?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

The sea has being extreme rough along the west coast recently and I have not seen any reports online of anybody catching anything recently from the west coast .You might be lucky and catch a bass on lures as the water is still fairly warm for this time of year .Let us know how you get on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not familiar with that area but this site can have good reports and advice specifically on sea fishing -
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/forum/

It may be worth having a look or asking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Dig some lug locally or bring some frozen bait and fish from the beach... Fresh bait is always best...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Only fished Doonbeg twice, lots of flounder, some to good size, didn't manage any bass but the Irish record came from there.
    This time of year bottom fishing is the only option really, lugworm/crab baits. Any time I fished it there was a big rip along the beach so you may need 5-7oz leads to stop having your trace washed up 50 yards down the beach in no time. After the storms there may be a big swell, so be very careful with the surge up the beach, you can be on dry beach one second and up to your waist in fast-flowing water the next. Even on a relatively calm day I found the surge surprising, its a very flat beach in places, so set your gear up well back from the tide line and watch the waves for a while before walking out to cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Zzippy wrote: »
    Only fished Doonbeg twice, lots of flounder, some to good size, didn't manage any bass but the Irish record came from there.
    This time of year bottom fishing is the only option really, lugworm/crab baits. Any time I fished it there was a big rip along the beach so you may need 5-7oz leads to stop having your trace washed up 50 yards down the beach in no time. After the storms there may be a big swell, so be very careful with the surge up the beach, you can be on dry beach one second and up to your waist in fast-flowing water the next. Even on a relatively calm day I found the surge surprising, its a very flat beach in places, so set your gear up well back from the tide line and watch the waves for a while before walking out to cast.

That's very helpful. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement