Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agents and price on application (POA)

Options
  • 03-02-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Anyone know why estate agents might list a property as POA (price on application) so the customer has to phone the agent to find out the price? It's a real pain in the ass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Anyone know why estate agents might list a property as POA (price on application) so the customer has to phone the agent to find out the price? It's a real pain in the ass.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its so there isnt a Historical price on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find anytime I ring up about it, they just tell you the price and don't care after that.......

Point about historical price is interesting. POA usually means its overpriced TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd be tempted to low-ball every house that has POA on it with €20k, but I won't, in case one said yes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

POA = Price is horrendously overpriced to the point the seller is actually embarrassed to list it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

TheDriver wrote: »
    I find anytime I ring up about it, they just tell you the price and don't care after that.......

Point about historical price is interesting. POA usually means its overpriced TBH

I find the same, no problem giving the price over the phone, but they're just making it more difficult to sell the property. It's also a pity that Daft and MyHome don't let customers filter out POA on searches.

Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I find the same, no problem giving the price over the phone, but they're just making it more difficult to sell the property. It's also a pity that Daft and MyHome don't let customers filter out POA on searches.

Thanks for your replies.

you can filter them out. Just set the min price to 10k or whatever the lowest option is. That removes all POA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 owenstylie

yes v annoying. mainly country auctioneers use it. Sometimes used if the vendor is not serious about selling i.e. the bank want it on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I think the estate agents are using POA to estabish the interest in the house and then putting a price on it. Huge interest = huge price:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I actually had the opposite experience with a house that was listed POA - if it had been listed at the price the vendors wanted it would have been snapped up long ago. However the vendors actually weren't that interested in selling - the house had been on the market for close to three years and they were only prepared to go sale agreed once they had themselves had gone sale agreed on something they wanted to buy (which they hadn't found).

I only went and looked at the house because I was looking at another house in the same estate with the same agent. Before that, the POA had put me off as I thought they were looking for a lot more. I loved the house, but as I said, they werent prepared to sell until they had found something themselves.

I eventually found something else, which I didnt love as much as the first house, but it was easily the next best thing out there (and even nearly 12mths later I haven't seen anything else that has come close in my price range). Typically, the day after i signed the contracts on the place I am in now, the agent of the first house rang me to say that they had finally found something (this was about 7mths after I first looked at it).

That house has now been taken off the market - its not on the PPR so I dont think it sold. And while the house I bought was not the house I loved, it actually was a much better move and the right decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement