Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with xbox 360 slim

• 03-02-2014 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi,

I have an out of warranty xbox 360 slim, a while back, soon after learning to crawl, the babòg powered it on, and when the DVD drive came out leant on it or grabbed it or something like that and the drive became jammed in the open position.

With some fiddling of the drive I managed to re align the drive and it seemed to sit back into place correctly, but when I powered on the console the drive would keep opening, you select close, it would close up but pop open again (remaining in the open position).

I opened it up and the magnet is ok, also the sensor at the front underside of the of the drive (with three wires leading from it) is intact.

I popped off the drive tray and the belt is in place on the cogs and they all appear to be in working order.

Does anyone have any potential fixes/ ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

a long shot but how does the ribbon cable connecting the eject touch button to the front board look, it's not damaged or ripped is it? You could try picking up a spare drive if it comes to it, swap the logic boards and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Thank for the reply TV, that ribbon looks fine to be honest, I had thought about swapping out the disk drive and all that goes with it but I had it in my head from somewhere that a drive can only work exclusively with the xbox it comes with in the newer models.
    Anyway better use good old google to research it more and go with that (somewhat daunting!!) option.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thank for the reply TV, that ribbon looks fine to be honest, I had thought about swapping out the disk drive and all that goes with it but I had it in my head from somewhere that a drive can only work exclusively with the xbox it comes with in the newer models.
    Anyway better use good old google to research it more and go with that (somewhat daunting!!) option.
    Thanks again

You're spot on, each drive is paired to the console motherboard.

If you're interested in how it works read on, if not skip this paragraph :) Each console has an encrypted keyvault that contains stuff like the console serial number, manfacturing date etc. The keyvault also has your DVD drive key in it and the drive's OSIG (signature of it's model number). The DVD drive key and OSIG is also flashed on the logic board of the DVD drive. The keyvault can only be decrypted by the right CPU key, stored on the CPU. Since you can't swap the CPU easily it follows that effectively your DVD drive and motherboard are paired. If you can get the CPU Key via hacks (like JTAG/Glitch) you can decrypt the keyvault and do all sorts of made stuff like change the DVD key/OSIG

If a drive breaks you can get a spare drive (of the very same model) and simply desolder the wires from the broken drive's logic board and remove it, do the same with your new drive and swap the boards. As long as the logic boards are swapped your console will believe it to be the same drive because for all intents and purposes it is - stuff like lasers, motors are all generic. In fact even the DVD boards from the same model of DVD drive are generic, only the key is different. If you pick up a different drive model you will have issues, I couldn't be clearer on this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

I fixed a 360 slim about 2 years ago with the same issue your having. The problem was with the printed flex ribbon. There was a tiny (Micro) scratch on the ribbon breaking a trace on one of the conductive printed lines. Re-check you ribbon under a light or use a multimeter and test for continuity. If a trace is broken, you can use conductive ink to redraw the trace or standard HB graphite pencil also works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

Nice one I will give it a go, thanks for replying!

• Advertisement
Advertisement