Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Help!

Options
  • 03-02-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,
    So my mocks are exactly 4 weeks from now and I'm aiming to get at least a B or higher in Chemistry. However, I have no idea how I'll cover the whole course by then and I struggle with the equations. If anyone has any advice or tips on how they study for chemistry or could recommend how I should approach my study, it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Super Robot Wars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bellaxo

Hi all,
    So my mocks are exactly 4 weeks from now and I'm aiming to get at least a B or higher in Chemistry. However, I have no idea how I'll cover the whole course by then and I struggle with the equations. If anyone has any advice or tips on how they study for chemistry or could recommend how I should approach my study, it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Super Robot Wars

Hi there :)
    I'm in 6th too! I also find the equations a bit tricky! But if you look at the exam papers and solutions the same ones come up year to year with the same layout! The Revision Book 'Exam Edge' has all the exam questions from all the chapters in chemistry and their solutions! It has really helped me!
    I've also heard 'Rapid Revision Chemistry' is also excellent! Have yet to buy that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SuperRobotWars

Bellaxo wrote: »
    Hi there :)
    I'm in 6th too! I also find the equations a bit tricky! But if you look at the exam papers and solutions the same ones come up year to year with the same layout! The Revision Book 'Exam Edge' has all the exam questions from all the chapters in chemistry and their solutions! It has really helped me!
    I've also heard 'Rapid Revision Chemistry' is also excellent! Have yet to buy that!

Yeah my teacher always says they're simple but there always a catch for example they'll say the mixture was diluted to a factor of ten or something along the lines of that to just trip you up. Yeah I have both of those books but my teacher says his notes will get me an A :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bellaxo

Yeah my teacher always says they're simple but there always a catch for example they'll say the mixture was diluted to a factor of ten or something along the lines of that to just trip you up. Yeah I have both of those books but my teacher says his notes will get me an A :/

I have the worst teacher ever! I have to go and learn the chemistry by myself! Yes, I also hate how such random questions can come up year to year. Exactly always a catch! I am aiming to get an A1! Hopefully it will happen! Any tips for me? What does your teacher say?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SuperRobotWars

Bellaxo wrote: »
    I have the worst teacher ever! I have to go and learn the chemistry by myself! Yes, I also hate how such random questions can come up year to year. Exactly always a catch! I am aiming to get an A1! Hopefully it will happen! Any tips for me? What does your teacher say?

I have to say I have a pretty good teacher. His notes are good but are pure chemistry so I have to read a little to understand what's going on. In terms of advice my teacher says go through the past papers and the marking schemes. If you can answer all the questions on let's say question 1 (Volumetric Analysis) then he says that you should know it. Also he says that accuracy seperates the A2 students from the A1s. For example don't say Lower meniscus say: Lower part of meniscus, as the chief examiner's report stresses students not giving enough detail. And unfortunately for us the examiners know we hate chemical equations :(

I only found the the report from 2008 but it does highlight areas where people usually go wrong if you can find the 2013 report I would recommend taking a look.
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2008/LC_Chemistry_2008.pdf

Advertisement