Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Dish,

Options
  • 03-02-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a sat dish on the wall outside the house picking up UK Channels etc and have a saorview box for my rte channels...

Since the high winds I have lost signal on tv from sat dish "NO Signal" is all it keeps reading... I tried re-scanning the satellite box but no joy, but me re-scanning has resulted now in no channels been stored which doesn't make it easy now when u are moving the sat dish as u have to keep scanning...

I am wondering is there something which I could use that will tell me the right position for the dish to be moved to?? Not too expensive!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Droghead

someone suggested something about connecting headphones to the Sat dish??? anyone know can this be done??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

use the signal meter in the sky box, go to services etc. You need a second person unless you can see box, you will know you are on astra 28east when you get a network lock.

SIGNAL STRENGTH - Should be around half way or above

SIGNAL QUALITY - Should be around half way or above

LOCK INDICATOR - Should say OK

NETWORK ID - Should say 0002

TRANSPORT STREAM - Should say 07D4

why headphones!!!

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    use the signal meter in the sky box, go to services etc. You need a second person unless you can see box, you will know you are on astra 28east when you get a network lock.

SIGNAL STRENGTH - Should be around half way or above

SIGNAL QUALITY - Should be around half way or above

LOCK INDICATOR - Should say OK

NETWORK ID - Should say 0002

TRANSPORT STREAM - Should say 07D4

why headphones!!!

Sorry I don't have a sky box.. I have a freesat/regular satellite dish... not sure if I can still do as you suggest??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Maybe someone near you might lend you a satfinder. I have one in Wexford if that's any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Droghead wrote: »
    someone suggested something about connecting headphones to the Sat dish??? anyone know can this be done??

Only if you want to listen in to your neighbours otherwise you require a signal meter or get someone to watch the signal meter on the sat box as you slowly and gently move your dish. The final option would be to get an installer in to do it.

Cheers all.... I will buy the Signal Meter and go down this route.... As I don't know the procedure to bring up and look at the signal meter on the sat box

Hopefully we might have a wind free wend coming up as the last 3 between wind & rain it not an easy job to get up to sat dish...

Thanks Again

whats the make of the sat receiver? a signal meter can be a bind. as for a wind free evening, another warning for this evening and more on friday apparently. Is a satfinder any good? ie will it say the sat you are on, eg 28east? I'll google it as well.

I use a FTA channel and move dish ever so slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

whats the make of the sat receiver? a signal meter can be a bind. as for a wind free evening, another warning for this evening and more on friday apparently. Is a satfinder any good? ie will it say the sat you are on, eg 28east? I'll google it as well.

I use a FTA channel and move dish ever so slowly.

I have 2 sat finders, both came with cheap sat dish kits. One has a meter and the higher the needle goes, the better the signal. The other has a line of LEDs but these are of little use. The thing beeps when you're on a satellite. The more frantic the beep, the better the fix. This is handy because you don't need to look, just listen.

Locating the right satellite is fairly easy. Look around and see where other sky dishes are pointing. When you get a fix on the meter, check the channels. There is a German(?) satellite fairly close to the freeview one. If all the channels are German you need to swing the dish a LITTLE to the left. It's only a few degrees.

I will buy the Signal Meter and go down this route.... As I don't know the procedure to bring up and look at the signal meter on the sat box

Also have a look at the cabling to the LNB on the dish as this poster did - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88824149#post88824149

• Advertisement

We have been up already and checked cables and definitely nothing loose... but thank you for your suggestion
    The Cush wrote: »
    Also have a look at the cabling to the LNB on the dish as this poster did - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88824149#post88824149

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Satellite

Hi the receiver box I have is a Walker WP95sat-HD.. I have wiped all the channels off the box which has resulted now in me having to scan while I move the satellite.. is there any other way I can get a channel up on it so I don't need to scan whilst trying to find correct position of the satellite dish...

Hi the receiver box I have is a Walker WP95sat-HD.. I have wiped all the channels off the box which has resulted now in me having to scan while I move the satellite.. is there any other way I can get a channel up on it so I don't need to scan whilst trying to find correct position of the satellite dish...

I don't know the box but is there a way to select one of the stored frequencies in the tuning menu with the signal meter displayed on screen?

The Cush wrote: »
    I don't know the box but is there a way to select one of the stored frequencies in the tuning menu with the signal meter displayed on screen?

If there is I don't know how to do it... I looked at the manual and it doesn't tell me anything about stored frequencies nor does it tell me know how to put the signal meter up on the screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Take the box to a friends house with a working dish and scan there. You will then know which channels are working.

I wonder does box come with a pre -stored channel list and maybe a factory reset might bring them back. I looked on walker website and nothing there.

tuning box with another dish is the way to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Didn't find a manual for your box but I believe it is similar to the WP645 combi, minus the terrestrial part.

The 'Installation' menu should have a 'Satellite Manual Scan' option that will enable you to bring up signal quality & level bars. First choose the right satellite: I'm not sure how the satellite names would appear in the menu but it would be one of the Astra satellites at 28.2 degrees east. Looks like a press of one of the colour buttons brings up a transponder (tp) list for the satellite (frequency, polarisation, symbol rate etc.).

Look for this tp in the list or enter the parameters manually:
      Satellite: Astra whatever 28.2E
      DiSEqC: Doesn't matter
      Frequency: 10964
      Polarisation: Horizontal
      Symbol Rate: 22000
      Network Search: No (Doesn't matter just to get signal display.)
      Scan Encrypted: No

P.20 of the combi manual.

ok i have the manual now and yes u can do a manual scan and it has a signal meter, just give me a mo to have a read, its on page 13.

Ok I have manual in front of me and see it on page 13 as you suggested.. .so I just enter this information as told in earlier post
    • Satellite: Astra whatever 28.2E
    • DiSEqC: Doesn't matter
    • Frequency: 10964
    • Polarisation: Horizontal
    • Symbol Rate: 22000
    • Network Search: No (Doesn't matter just to get signal display.)
    • Scan Encrypted: No

Can you explain what I do once I do this????

Sorry & thanks ...

ok i have the manual now and yes u can do a manual scan and it has a signal meter, just give me a mo to have a read, its on page 13.

• Advertisement

Ok, its MENU, another menus appears, then arrow down to installation, another menu appears, arrow down to manual scan, press ok, now another menu opens, so

1. change sat to astra 28east, using left or right arrows

2. arrrow down to frequency, enter 10773, use keys on remote

3. down to polarisation select H = horizontal, if its alread Horizontal leave it.

4. arrow dwon to symbol rate. enter 22000 with remote keys.

5. arrow down leave network search as no.

6. arrow down change scan encrypted to NO.

nb you may now see a signal in the meter it might show a reading under signal but nothing under quality but you never know.

Now go to dish and have someone watch the readings. Check dish for tighness, ie if you cant move it easy by hand, undo a few bolts by a few turns, now move dish a tiny fraction and wait. You may have to do this either to the left or the right. Be patient. NB dont loosen those bolts too much. When you get a reading get quality as high as possible ie 75%. Once you have that press OK and box will scan that frequency and store it. Check its BBC1 and bobs your uncle. Now do an automatic scan and then check channels. Once happy tighten dish but go back to signal meter, see above, so you can watch if tightening bolts disturbs dish, dont over tighten.

good luck and lastly MARK THE DISH position so after Fridays storm if dish moves you can just move it back.

use my frequency as BBC1 has no ads and its strong.

Thank you so much.... will let you know the wend how we get on as too dark to do anything until the wend so hopefully weather and storms wont be too bad and we can get up the ladder....

Ok, its MENU, another menus appears, then arrow down to installation, another menu appears, arrow down to manual scan, press ok, now another menu opens, so

use my frequency as BBC1 has no ads and its strong.

You mean because the DOG disappears during ad breaks? The satellite signal doesn't go anywhere.

Worry about scanning for channels after the signal is peaked using the level/quality display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

1. change sat to astra 28east, using left or right arrows

2. arrrow down to frequency, enter 10773, use keys on remote

3. down to polarisation select H = horizontal, if its alread Horizontal leave it.

4. arrow dwon to symbol rate. enter 22000 with remote keys.

5. arrow down leave network search as no.

6. arrow down change scan encrypted to NO.

nb you may now see a signal in the meter it might show a reading under signal but nothing under quality but you never know.

Now go to dish and have someone watch the readings. Check dish for tighness, ie if you cant move it easy by hand, undo a few bolts by a few turns, now move dish a tiny fraction and wait. You may have to do this either to the left or the right. Be patient. NB dont loosen those bolts too much. When you get a reading get quality as high as possible ie 75%. Once you have that press OK and box will scan that frequency and store it. Check its BBC1 and bobs your uncle. Now do an automatic scan and then check channels. Once happy tighten dish but go back to signal meter, see above, so you can watch if tightening bolts disturbs dish, dont over tighten.

good luck and lastly MARK THE DISH position so after Fridays storm if dish moves you can just move it back.

The same freq, pol, and symbol rate is used on 19E, a tp unique to 28E might have been a better idea. Or add directions if BBC1 isn't discovered, like rotate dish slightly left (as viewed from behind the dish) and down until next strong signal is encountered.

macwal wrote: »
    The same freq, pol, and symbol rate is used on 19E, a tp unique to 28E might have been a better idea.

If you're worried about 19E, the Eutelsat 28A tps would be the obvious choice, while this satellite is still broadcasting at 28E.

Also just noticed that the Channel 5 tp I already suggested seems to be inactive at 19E ATM.

that is a very good point and I was trying to keep it simple BUT if the OP sees this use

10.847V.23000 BBC-HD and that is defenitely not on 19east or 23.5east.

so best of luck

Just want a say big thank you for assisting me in this matter.. went home last night started to do a manual scan following instructions as suggested by GBCULLEN & PETER RHEA and whilst doing the tv went blank and came back on couple of seconds later with all Satellite channels with perfect picture... Not sure exactly what I did but there was no ladders or moving of Satellite involved...

Thank you...

.. went home last night started to do a manual scan

... whilst doing the tv went blank and came back on couple of seconds later with all Satellite channels with perfect picture... Not sure exactly what I did

Maybe since your original scan the box had been on the wrong satellite? And step 1 of the manual scan procedure returned it to 28 east?

Anyway, doesn't explain why 'no signal' problem originally occurred or why it has 'fixed' itself. Dish could still be slightly misaligned or damaged cable waiting to take in water again.

• Advertisement

Its picture perfect at the moment but that may all change when the winds return at the wend... but for the moment I have Television...

Thanks
    Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Maybe since your original scan the box had been on the wrong satellite? And step 1 of the manual scan procedure returned it to 28 east?

Anyway, doesn't explain why 'no signal' problem originally occurred or why it has 'fixed' itself. Dish could still be slightly misaligned or damaged cable waiting to take in water again.

Advertisement