Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macs Offie in Ennis Road

Options
  • 03-02-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭

I've heard this is a decent spot for craft beer. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in there lately and could give me an idea if it's worth a visit? I've been into Desmonds on Fr. Griffin Rd. and the selection was fantastic but it's a bit out of the weay from where I live so the Ennis road would be a better location. Is it as good as Desmonds or am I still better off to make the trip to Desmonds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Macs off license is gone about two months and javinos the cafe beside it has been extended in.

Next door on fr.russell road and O'Briens the parkway have a good selection.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, what Jofspring said. They're the best 2 in town. Fine Wines on Catherine St. are well worth a visit too.

Macs was the first place I used to go for Belgian beers and Galway Bay Brewery stuff, but they were never in the same league as Desmond's Next Door or O'Brien's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

An File wrote: »
    Yeah, what Jofspring said. They're the best 2 in town. Fine Wines on Catherine St. are well worth a visit too.

Macs was the first place I used to go for Belgian beers and Galway Bay Brewery stuff, but they were never in the same league as Desmond's Next Door or O'Brien's.

Next door has more irish brews (close run thing though). If I'm spending that kinda money on beer I like to think there are irish jobs in it. Love the dungarvan stout, and a few of the ballyhoura brews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

If I'm spending that kinda money on beer I like to think there are irish jobs in it.

AFAIK a lot of the Irish craft beers are sent to the UK for bottling, so maybe not as many jobs as we would like to thinkg sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A lot do go to the UK but not Galway Bay or Whitewater. I sell those so I'm only confident on those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Beer Baron wrote: »
    A lot do go to the UK but not Galway Bay or Whitewater. I sell those so I'm only confident on those.

Haven't come across whitewater, where would I purchase in limerick?

Haven't come across whitewater, where would I purchase in limerick?

Tesco and dunnes have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah Whitewater produce great beer. I'd recommend their Clotworthy Dobbin. It's a fantastic ale!

squonk wrote: »
    Yeah Whitewater produce great beer. I'd recommend their Clotworthy Dobbin. It's a fantastic ale!

I'd recommend the hoppelhammer. Desmond's has it. Personally of all the IPAs I sell I like the Galway Bay Full Sail followed by the Shepherd Neame IPA. I don't like a lot of the Irish stuff because it's either too malty or hoppy though. I'm more of a pilsner or wheat beer man.

White gypsy is a nice Irish wheat beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dungarvan do lovely stuff in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hopplehammer is a tremendous beer. I didn't see it in Desmond's today, but I might not have been looking at the right shelf. They have a few of the Founders beers from the USA next to the Sierra Nevada stuff. Unreal. :)

Advertisement