Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beck is back

• 03-02-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Blue Moon is the first single off Beck's new album Morning Phase and what an absolute gem it is. I think it's as good a song as he has written. If this is indicative of the album we could be in for Sea Change part two. Welcome back you magical genius!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭roll

blue moon has been on phantom for a couple of weeks now-great tune!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This is alright, but I miss fun-Beck. His 3 singles from last year were sonically interesting, but didn't have much in the way of a tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 EVOL1991

Pretty good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

http://www.stereogum.com/1655662/beck-waking-light/mp3s/

Here's another. It sounds like Elton John. No ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Much prefer Blue Moon to Waking Light. I really liked his sound on Sea Change, so I'm glad to hear something similar to that. Don't know if this album will measure up simply because Sea Change was so special because it was so personal and captured a moment in his life. Still, I love Beck, so I'm excited to hear the full album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭madnolla

that's great I love beck

would love to see him live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Great album. Lovin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Great album. Lovin it.

Didn't think it was released until the 25th?
    The first 2 tracks are class alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Streaming on npr all week.

TBH i'm surprised by being surprised at how much i like it. It's Beck should have known it would be killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Didn't think it was released until the 25th?
    The first 2 tracks are class alright.

There are ways and means ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Country Down is an absolutely stunning track.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

It's out today! On Spotify etc.

Wave is beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Sounds very much like a sequel to Sea Change, Unforgiven is sublime.

Fantastic record. Actually feels a lot warmer than Sea Change, in a way. Love Heart Is a Drum. Very Nick Drake-y.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

album has grown on me a bit - was never that crazy about Sea Change, felt the production was a bit overblown. It's a bit more subtle on this one. Some of the songs are very similar though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    album has grown on me a bit - was never that crazy about Sea Change, felt the production was a bit overblown. It's a bit more subtle on this one. Some of the songs are very similar though.

There are similar themes running throughout, but I thought the closest it ever really gets to the emotional wreckage that was Sea Change is on Wave. The rest of the tracks really do have a shimmer of hope to them. The production is truly sublime, really evokes a sense of a reawakening and coming out of the darkness and into the light.

I like it more and more with each listen, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The new album is definitely a grower. The first time I listened to it it just sounded like he was trying to replicate Sea Change, which is my favourite Beck album, rather than go for something different. But the more you listen to it the more things you discover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Loving the new album. Definitely back on form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The new album is definitely a grower. The first time I listened to it it just sounded like he was trying to replicate Sea Change, which is my favourite Beck album, rather than go for something different. But the more you listen to it the more things you discover.

I agree on this definitely. I'm not mad into the whole country sound, so the first time I listened to certain songs on this it grated a little, but over time it works great with Beck's voice and the way the songs flow.

I wasn't totally sure about how I felt about the singles from the album when I heard them in isolation, but when you hear them on the album, it all fits and flows so well. The album really captures a feeling very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

nice album. very mellow. might be a tad overproduced. suits me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Been listening to it solidly for nearly a week now and I love it. It's better than Sea Change, it has a lot more to offer. The tunes just grab you after a few listens. Blue Moon is stilll my favourite song off it for the moment but the final trio of songs - Turn Away, Country Down and Waking Light - are outstanding. Beck's voice can sound weak at times but there's a real maturity about it on this record. His best piece of work in my opinion.

Been listening to it solidly for nearly a week now and I love it. It's better than Sea Change, it has a lot more to offer. The tunes just grab you after a few listens. Blue Moon is stilll my favourite song off it for the moment but the final trio of songs - Turn Away, Country Down and Waking Light - are outstanding. Beck's voice can sound weak at times but there's a real maturity about it on this record. His best piece of work in my opinion.

I think he has always had a fantastic voice. Some of the vocal acrobatics he pulled off on Midnite Vultures was crazy. Didn't know he had it in him. He sounds great when he reigns it in too. I like the kind of quiet resignation to his voice on this album and on Sea Change.

Advertisement