Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need springtails - Folsomia candida (help!)

• 03-02-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

I am using F. candida as an indicator of toxicity as part of an experiment and I am just wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about finding the little buggers. Is there anywhere you can actually buy a pure culture of them or if not, where is the best place to go looking for them, I was thinking compost heaps but I can't think of anywhere else. Are they difficult to identify the correct genus? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I've sampled for soil invertebrates in the past but never specifically for just springtails.
    I had a quick look online and this paper has a quick description of where and how to sample the species, as well as references to other papers which I'm sure will detail the process in more depth. Just read up on in and check the materials/methods sections of papers relating to that species and you'll come across a good way of getting them!

http://www.oecd.org/chemicalsafety/testing/41389036.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

not sure if you are still after these, probably not at this stage, but if you are, check out www.dartfrog.co.uk/livefoods

they sell culture kits of various different little critters including f candida as tank custodians and food for small frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

Thanks. I got sorted anyway. A lab in the Czech Republic sent 40 individuals over for me to start my own culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

got any spares? ha
    im looking to get some for my vivarium to maintain the soil and nobody in ireland seems to have them at the moment so its looking like i'll be taking my own advice and placing an order.

glad you got sorted.

Advertisement