Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card and Full Time Employment

Options
  • 03-02-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. So I currently have a medical card and have been looking for work. I've looked on the citizen information website and from what I can tell I'm only entitled to earn €180 a week. (Dependant student under 25) I have been offered full time Jobs but couldn't take due to thinking that I would earn to much and get my card taken from me. And I can't afford to loose it as I have a diagnosed medical condition.

However, I know someone who has a medical card and apparently has a full time job as well. I get that it could be hearsay, but I just wonder if anyone knows if I could work full time or do I have to look for something part time, which I'm having trouble with.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes it is possible,you will need to contact the HSE about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Before if you had a card and got a full time job you were given the card for a year or so into full time employment, not sure if this is still the case.

I the jobs is temporary, I dont think you will have an issue as your earnings for 2014 will be way less than €188 x 52.

Expenses are taken into account. If paying for yoru meds would put you in serious financial strain then you can argue that you still need the card. This is easier if you are renting etc, harder if you are living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Before if you had a card and got a full time job you were given the card for a year or so into full time employment, not sure if this is still the case.

Their changing this to a GP Visit card only.
    People in receipt of the specific social welfare allowances/benefits, for a period of 12 months or more, who return to work after a period of unemployment will retain a GP Visit Card (currently a Medical Card) for 3 years, regardless of income.

The measure will be introduced during 2014 following the introduction of legislation.

Advertisement