Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How does a courier make money on an Amazon free delivery?

• 03-02-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi.

How does a courier make money on an Amazon free delivery? For example when in Ireland you buy at least £25.00 worth of stuff.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Ari Spoiled Waiter

Amazon pay the courier.

Revolutionary concept really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭lau1247

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

How does a courier make money on an Amazon free delivery? For example when in Ireland you buy at least £25.00 worth of stuff.

Thanks.

Not all amazon uk items that includes free delivery are the best price in the site and i guess amazon have pricing deal also due to the size of the operation

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Amazon pay the courier.

Revolutionary concept really.

How much do Amazon pay the courier? As a % of the total purchase cost or per weight?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

How much do Amazon pay the courier? As a % of the total purchase cost or per weight?

Think about this now. Why would they base it on price? It would be size or weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

For example when in Ireland you buy at least £25.00 worth of stuff.
    That's the point where they figure they've enough margin to cover the courier. Don't worry, you're still paying for the courier.

• Advertisement

No Pants wrote: »
    That's the point where they figure they've enough margin to cover the courier. Don't worry, you're still paying for the courier.

How can they call it free delivery if you are paying for it? The ultimate in false advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

How can they call it free delivery if you are paying for it? The ultimate in false advertising?

Because you don't specifically pay a courier charge. The item has a higher margin but nobody knows what that is, the courier charge would be worked into it

It's a false economy when you think you save more, could be cheaper elsewhere. By advertising by letter of the law it's not false or illegal, it's just not true

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because if you buy stuff for less than £25 they add on a delivery charge. But essentially you're paying for delivery twice if you buy less than £25 in a single order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

am i mistaken, has free delivery changed from 25 euro to 25 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Most likely there's contractual arrangements in place. Amazon guarantees the courier it'll be the only one it uses, courier provides a price per package. Or else they might have an arrangement where they pay so much per year to the courier with annual visits to the contract whereby next yrs price would be determined based on this yrs business and projected growth figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

stanley1 wrote: »
    am i mistaken, has free delivery changed from 25 euro to 25 sterling.

It's always been on orders over £25, not €25

Just to add to my earlier point, for arguments sake, Amazon has a deal with ups whereby theythem €1M a year to deliver their stuff. They send out half a million packages a year, so their cost for delivery is €2 per package. They charge you €5 or €10 for delivery. Another revenue stream for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It isn't "free" delivery. Then again, nothing is free. Credit card processing isn't free. Hiring an army of staff and managing a massive retail empire isn't free either.

In case you've only just realised, you never just pay for the product itself. You're pay for the product, the cost of business and pay the business a little extra in the way of profit in exchange for them making things convenient for you (Retail 101).

The business' costs are factored in to the price of every item you buy. If they've got the margins to cover courier costs once you go past £25, then they'll offer "free delivery". It's not free in absolute terms because you're still paying for it. It's "free" if you compare it to other retailers who don't have the benefit of a massive retail network with low overheads (due to the economies of scale) who pass on their courier costs to their customers.

If someone buys £25+ worth of goods that means Amazon is making a decent enough profit. They should skim some of that profit (along with all the many purchases that are well over £25+) and use it to pay for the deliveries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pajopearl wrote: »
    Amazon guarantees the courier it'll be the only one it uses, courier provides a price per package.

This definitely isn't a factor - Amazon use An Post for final delivery for most items to Ireland (after shipping to An Post themselves) but also use Royal Mail for full delivery, iParcel or UPS (and others) depending on what it is they're sending and where.

MYOB wrote: »
    This definitely isn't a factor - Amazon use An Post for final delivery for most items to Ireland (after shipping to An Post themselves) but also use Royal Mail for full delivery, iParcel or UPS (and others) depending on what it is they're sending and where.

Like I said it's contractual. Anything that comes in to Ireland via a courier will be delivered by that courier or their delivery partner in the destination country. If it comes in by regular mail, an post will deliver it. All depends on the contract at the point of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Don't forget that Amazon has higher profit margins because they major in on tax avoidance schemes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don't forget that Amazon has higher profit margins because they major in on tax avoidance schemes

Don't forget that Amazon's profit margins are actually razor thin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

I am aware that Littlewoods pay Fastway in the region of 1.50 Euro per delivery.

I would assume that Amazon pay similar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is like pizza where the carryout price is always cheaper than delivery but they call it free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This is an incredible thread.

This is like pizza where the carryout price is always cheaper than delivery but they call it free delivery.

This quote comes to mind.

H. G. Wells: "Advertising is legalized lying."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen it called a "walk in discount", i.e. the discount is the delivery charge.
    at least the irish government gets any VAT you do pay.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Because if you buy stuff for less than £25 they add on a delivery charge. But essentially you're paying for delivery twice if you buy less than £25 in a single order.
    And if you spend £50 on 2x£25 items you have paid for 2 delivery charges, as the delivery cost is going to be factored into each £25 item. A £50 item might not have it.

I prefer upfront delivery costs because of this, I can avail of the discount due to me which should ordinarily be greater with the more I buy.

There's also a very simple rule, -if you have to hand over money it's not free.

Advertisement